R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camp Grounds > Free or Cheap Camping Sites
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWalmarts where you CAN'T camp...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Walmarts where you CAN'T camp...
    Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 9:35am
+1
We don't call, but I do use the RV Parky app on my phone to check to see if there are places to stay. It will list pay campgrounds as well as free stops such as truck stops and Walmart locations. Some have a symbol that indicate no overnights. Those that do allow it, I always go to the service desk and ask when we stop. Then I set up.

We do this when we are just needing a place for overnight stays. For anything longer, it will be a campground or state park. We haven't stayed at any federal parks yet, but I do have the Access Pass for that.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 11:56am
I wonder how accurate the Allstays database is. They list Walmarts that allow overnight camping. Why wouldn't Walmarts allow it? People need supplies and what better way to get them in the door to buy them than to have them reside on the premises overnight?
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 2:46pm
State laws or city ordinances are the main reasons why it would not be allowed. The RV Parky app has been pretty accurate so far. I am not sure about Allstays.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
GlibGuy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 3:24pm
I use "Allstays".  They appear to offer information from users rather than certifying themselves whether a particular Walmart location does or doesn't allow overnight.   

MICK
Donnie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 8:26pm
I'm glad this subject came up because we are heading to Big Pine Key FL in February and are hoping to do the "park and sleep" for 2 nights on the way down.  We have to be in line on Hwy 1 outside the Girl Scout Camp at 6am on a Monday morning to get into the Winter Star Party.  Last year was easier because we were tenting so we just stayed in hotels on the way down.  Part of the justification for buying a camper was no more hotel bills.  We have started looking for places to stay and haven't had much luck yet.  Any advice from the Florida podders?  
Donnie & Tina Hill
2016 R-Pod 180 "STAR POD" sold
2018 Ford F-150 STX
2013 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2020 R-Pod 192 “STAR POD 2”
2020 Coachmen Apex 265RBSS
Deep Run, NC
cosmo751 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 7:48am
Accurate or not, it must be remembered that conditions at the individual store sometimes change. A Walmart in Ankeny, Ia, for example, ordinarily allows overnights, but didn't a few weeks ago due to needing the space for parking trailer loads of Christmas merchandise. Word to the wise - have a backup plan. 
"He not busy being born is busy dying."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 9:33am
That's where the RV Parky app comes in handy. It is not just a listing of one type of place where one may stay overnight. It lists all the options and whether the stay is allowed.

On our first big trip, the only place that turned us down for staying was a Petro truck stop. It was not for lack of space either. The one clerk I asked said okay, but her supervisor overheard and said no, we could not stay. I had just filled up there too. Petro lost a customer that day.

Flying J/Pilot and TA (which, incidentally owns Petro) have not failed to allow us to stay. Except for once, we have stayed out front where they have double parking spaces to pull through. Only once were we told to park in back with the big rigs. That was interesting! Our tiny Escape and R-Pod between the 18-wheel behemoths. Smile It was not exactly quiet either with the big rigs idling and pulling in and out. We do run a sound generator app on the phone to generate cover noise which makes it easier to sleep in such circumstances.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Donnie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 9:45am
Thanks for the info.  We've done the truck stop stay also and we run a sound machine every night as well.  I would love it if every state had Service Plazas like Ohio does.  They are wonderful!  You drive up, put the money in a vending machine, plug in and go to sleep.  We did it several times in a pop-up.  They have showers inside and great food.  
http://www.ohioturnpike.org/travelers/service-plazas

Donnie & Tina Hill
2016 R-Pod 180 "STAR POD" sold
2018 Ford F-150 STX
2013 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2020 R-Pod 192 “STAR POD 2”
2020 Coachmen Apex 265RBSS
Deep Run, NC
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 12:44pm
Yes, it would really be nice if more states emulated Ohio's example. Especially out west where the distances between towns is so great.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 4:42pm
Since we full-time, Walmart's come in handy. The Allstays app has been invaluable. It lists Walmart's that do and do not allow overnight stays. There are many other overnight options that we use such as Cabela's, Cracker Barrel, Gander Mountain, and more. We always call to confirm before arriving.
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>