R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator to charge Battery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dsmiths View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator to charge Battery
    Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 9:04pm
Direct and to the point furpod
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 8:06pm
Just to point out.. IF it will charge the batteries.. it certainly WILL NOT run your microwave. You have or should have a 1200w microwave... a 800 watt genny isn't going to do anything but ruin it.

I refuse to do any math on if it's financially smart to buy a genny vs paying for electricity.. thats the path of.. How many nights can I stay in my tent vs a camper vs a hotel room vs not going at all.. etc etc.

We have a large generator at home that will run our whole house, but none for the campers.. may get one someday, but it will be one that CAN run the A/C...
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 7:57pm
oh p.s. the Chicago Electric is Chinese throw away, you wont be able to get parts for it, run it until it quits, throw away. sorry we have a harbour freight about 15 minutes from the house and all the "chicago electric " thingy's come with spare brushes for the commutator, I have never bought an American made drill, buffer, saw, ect that came with "spare brushes"
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
lift kit
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 6:19pm
I am with techntrek and Dave, the 800 watt is to weak, I have a 5500 continous/6875 surge at home, I have a clip board where I keep track of hours run, I run it every 1 or 2 months for 15 minutes, It is in an out  building that has an underground feed to my main panel in the house, so when power is out, cut off main breaker in house, preflight gen set, fire it up, switch on line and let it power the house,  you need to put Stabil in the fuel overwinter. the float bowl in the carb of your gen set has to have a vent to let fuel flow, this also allows gas to evaporate and create a gummy shellac material if not run regularly. the 800 will run a charger to help keep your battery charged but will not keep up with hi consumption devices. gosh after all this talk I wonder how my g-pa and g-ma made it on the farm before electricty. kerosene lamps, smoked meats, canned veggies from the garden, a hand pump from the sistern that collected rain water from the roof of the house. and a clothes line, I grew up there after electricity but learned so much. good luck
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
lift kit
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 5:03pm
My position on everything is.....it's your camper and your $$$$ so do whatever pleases YOU.

With that said, however, I agree with everthing that Techntrek wrote.  I doubt it would have near enough "umph" to do what you want.  One thought I keep going back to is; how many nights could I pay for the difference between sites with no electricity vs. ones with electricity vs, the cost of buying and maintaining a nice inverter genset?  You also have to transport it and gasoline (some extra oil might be a good idea).

Some folks like 'em , some don't.  But, some folks like lemon in their tea, while others don't, also.  Do what would make you happy. 

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 2:29pm
800 watts won't be enough for the microwave (or A/C).  The converter has a very large surge when it is first plugged in, so while 800 watts should be enough to run it, it probably will stall the genset when you first plug it in.  You may have to use an external battery charger with the generator.

A genset needs to be run once a month to keep the seals moist and evaporate condensation out of the oil.  Often people buy one, then pull it out of the box for the first time 3 years later and find it won't run which is why they get a bad reputation.  Its yet another engine to maintain, for better or worse.  Personally I would recommend saving up your money and getting one of the Honda 2000 watt gensets.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mt868 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 1:57pm
I keep seeing an ad on Harbor Freight for a 800 watt portable Chicago generator. I was thinking about getting this to charge my batteries and maybe use the microwave while boondocking.

What are your thoughts on this? Is it worth it or should I just suck it up and buy a bigger generator? Or should I just do without a generator? I hear they break down easily and are difficult to maintain.
 Post Reply Post Reply