R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCruise Control While Towing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cruise Control While Towing?
    Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by rex

I  use my cc here in Fla and when i pulled to Durham NC. But no big hills.I had no trouble.In june I plan to go to West VA. Thats when I will ask some of you northern podders some of the tricks for driving in the mountains. I  average 55/60 when I TOE rex pHp stuart fla.

Great!  West Virginia as a very scenic place that I like.  I don't know what you tow with but, whatever it is, it's engine, transmission and, brakes will get a good work out.  Your Pod will need a bath to get all of the black brake dust off.
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 8:55am
I tried the cruise control once for about 30 seconds.  I quickly turned it off.  
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
rex View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 10:50pm
I  use my cc here in Fla and when i pulled to Durham NC. But no big hills.I had no trouble.In june I plan to go to West VA. Thats when I will ask some of you northern podders some of the tricks for driving in the mountains. I  average 55/60 when I TOE rex pHp stuart fla.
jrr
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 5:00pm
  With the big engine in the Jeep I can use the cruise most of the time. You do have to pay attention to the road, if the grade is not to steep I can keep it on cruise, if the ground is rolling or the grade is steeper than I drive with the foot. You don't want the trans to be kicking in and out of overdrive. It is far better to take it out of cruise at the start of a rise and reengage it at the top.
  With our Caravan (3.3 liter) I found out very quickly that cruise was not ever an option to use.
                  Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 4:29pm
I agree with dsmiths comments.  Personally, I never use CC.  I like to "manage" my engine RPMs myself.  This was especially important on my previous GMC Canyon (smaller motor with a reputation of weak valve springs). 
Tidalwave4455 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 10:01am
I have a Chevy pickup with Tow-Option and Cruise Control.  I have found that with a large engine and 6-speed transmission, the CC did not affect towing very much, at least on flat sections of highway.  In hilly areas, the transmission did hunt quite a bit, so I usually shut off the CC.
I found nearly the opposite effect when I also engaged the Tow-Option...unless I was trying to tow at 65-70 mph, the two systems seemed to work together to restrict hunting (I am not sure why).
When I towed the Pod with my Jeep Liberty, I always shut off the CC...the transmission kept hunting and the engine tried to over-rev at too high a gear.  I would usually have to shut off the
CC and manually shift down one or more gears.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 8:29am
I agree with the others.  I use it.  But I also turn off the overdrive.  With overdrive on it constantly shifts in and out of overdrive.  Not a good thing.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2011 at 9:34pm
As an A C Delco Tech Shop owner I think you are ok with cruise control most of the time, but if you are in real hilly country, I think we can do better than cruise, little fast down the hill ( traffic allowing ) let up a little on the rise. Your Cruise control will try to hold the speed you set it at period. As a driver you have the option to use the flywheel effect, use gravity going down the hill but use lesser throttle going up the hill. In Hilly Southern Indiana (really Hilly) I may slow to 45 or 50 going up steeper hills, right lane, I am having fun no hurry. Good Luck.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2011 at 8:04pm
I use cruise control most of the time also.
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2011 at 7:54pm
We use our CC all the time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>