R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterize - Put Pink Stuff in Pump Only?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterize - Put Pink Stuff in Pump Only?
    Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 8:39am
I know you'll say it doesn't cost much more to do it all the way but I'm curious if my logic makes sense. If I use the compressed air method to clear out the pipes and then use just a bit of rv antifreeze in the pump only, will this be sufficient?

The little water still left in the lines will have plenty of space to expand so shouldn't pose a threat. What do you think?
Tidalwave4455 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 9:53am
The problem in not putting antifreeze into all of the pipes is the possibility of fresh water collecting in any low spots. Unless you use artificially dried air and pump enough air to evaporate all of the water out of the pipes there is always a chance that what was originally a thin film of water may drain over a period of time into the low spots and freeze. Once the pipes are no longer filled with water, the air can blow over the top of water collecting in low spots.  Then the air has to have enough velocity to create large enough waves for the air to blast that water farther down the pipes.
Ice has the character of expanding in all directions not just along the pipe. If there is little water to collect, there won't be enough ice to crack the pipes.
If you are a gambler...air blowing the pipes probably will remove enough water to prevent pipe breaking.
Many of us just don't want to hazard the bet by just air blowing out the water.  Most of the Pods take less than two gallons of antifreeze, which is a small price to pay.  If you didn't adequately blow out the pipes, your repair costs are going to be many times the price of the antifreeze.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 1:37pm
After first blowing out the lines with air including every faucet, one at a time, I always see a lot of water come out as I turn each faucet on again while pumping in the pink stuff.  Not only are there low spots in the lines but also nooks-and-crannies in every valve assembly which will retain water after blowing air through.  For the 15 minutes and less than $5 in pink stuff (about 1 and 1/8 gallon) that it takes to add the antifreeze, I wouldn't rely on air alone unless I lived in Florida where turning the furnace on once or twice a year will hold off the brief dips below freezing. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply