R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSurge Protectors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surge Protectors
    Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 12:22pm
We purchased a 2010 R Pod 171.  We will be camping for 8 days in Tennessee in a couple of weeks.  New to Rving.  We're wondering about surge protectors.  Will those who use them share the makes/models/stories?  Thanking you in advance.

Deb4Crows
2010 R Pod 171
2002 Ford Explorer
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 12:42pm
Welcome to the group! Smile

I can't answer your question as I do not use a surge protector - but I like to live dangerously! Star

I have a whole house protector at home along with individual protectors at each "sensitive electronics" type devise.  So, I do believe they are quite valuable.  While camping, most everything I use is 12 volts.  I don't use the microwave.  That leaves the water heater and A/C.  I just turn those on as needed.  So far, my gamble has worked in my favor.
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by David

Welcome to the group! Smile

I can't answer your question as I do not use a surge protector - but I like to live dangerously! Star

I have a whole house protector at home along with individual protectors at each "sensitive electronics" type devise.  So, I do believe they are quite valuable.  While camping, most everything I use is 12 volts.  I don't use the microwave.  That leaves the water heater and A/C.  I just turn those on as needed.  So far, my gamble has worked in my favor.
Welcome deborahy30004!
David, since the water heater also runs on propane, does it also need shore power to run the electronics or is 12v enough ? I was also wondering about the heater.
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 2:18pm
Welcome.  I recommend buying a Kill-A-Watt meter and keeping it plugged in where you will see it in your pod so you can monitor the voltage.  On my 171 there is an outlet directly below the sink which I can see every time I open the door.  The biggest problem in campgrounds is voltage sags and not spikes - a surge protector will only help with spikes and only with the really big ones (lightning strikes, but not ones that are too close, then nothing will help).  Keep an eye on the voltage through the day, especially during hot summer days.  If the voltage goes below 110 volts turn off your A/C and don't use the microwave.  Low voltage will kill them.  The other AC appliances (TV, water heater element, converter) should be ok even in a voltage sag.  On the other end, if the voltage goes above 130, you should unplug the entire pod until the problem improves.  As for spikes, I wouldn't worry about it.

psaman, you can run the propane side of the water heater on just 12 volts.  Even when you are plugged in the converter changes the 120 volts AC to 12 volts DC.  The heater is the same - 12 volts.  The electric element in the water heater requires 120 volts AC (you can use propane and AC at the same time to reheat the water faster).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by techntrek

psaman, you can run the propane side of the water heater on just 12 volts.  Even when you are plugged in the converter changes the 120 volts AC to 12 volts DC.  The heater is the same - 12 volts.  The electric element in the water heater requires 120 volts AC (you can use propane and AC at the same time to reheat the water faster).

Thanks Tech!

I probably should have been more clear.  I run the water heater on 120 volts when it is available - just to save my propane for primitive camping.  When operating on propane, as Tech says, you only need 12 volts from the battery. 
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 5:45pm

David, not a problem and thanks Tech!

2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 8:42pm
We have a portable surge protector that we bought from Camping World 3 years ago. Here is the link:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/portable-30-amp-gfci-surge-guard-with-shock-shield/18337

We have had at least 3 instances when electrical storms hit whilemwe were camping. In all instances the surge protector tripped when the campground power surged and we had no damage to any electrical components. We wouldn't camp without one. Have considered getting a permanent/ built in model but were drivenoff by the price. We paid about $80 for ours and feel like it worth every penny

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
sfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 9:10pm
I bought the ems portable surge protector from camping world. I didnt want to hard wire one into the unit . Who knows if it fails you wont have power and when you sell your unit you can take it and put it in the new one.
sjf
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by sfish

I bought the ems portable surge protector from camping world. I didnt want to hard wire one into the unit . Who knows if it fails you wont have power and when you sell your unit you can take it and put it in the new one.

==================

That was the second reason I didn't want the hard-wired surge protector. This one goes with us   ...

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
 Post Reply Post Reply