R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich Hitch?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Hitch?
    Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 1:00am
Hey folks. I've got a 2011 R-Pod 172. Can anyone recommend the size of weight distribution hitch I should buy?
Also, are the weight capacities very specific or could I move up in size if I find a deal. Say spec is 1000 lb (made up numbers) and I find 1500lb for less than 1000.

thank you for your help

tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 6:54am
XPod, have you thought of just getting a sway bar?  When we got ¡Podtástic! earlier this year, we thought we would need a WDH, but the people at the dealership said to just get the sway bar.  It has worked well for us in pulling her to where we want to go.
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
XPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 8:43am
I do have an anti-sway bar...the cheaper friction brake kind that I haven't installed yet. Does an anti-sway bar help stop bounce too? Just thinking about it I suppose it might. Money is an issue so that woud be very helpful. Other opinions? Should I try anti-sway bar first ?

XPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 8:46am
I've got a 2004 Xterra and the XPod does bounce on concrete highways. Not dangerously, but if I could dampen it 50% I would be perfectly happy. Do you tow with a truck or something lighter?
sfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 9:14am
I had an Equalizer Brand hitch on my sob and it really worked well.They are a little spendy but are worth the extra money.
sjf
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 8:25pm
I second the Equalizer.  I have the E2, the 600 pound rated model, and it improved the ride quality 100%.  Now it feels like I'm driving a big Cadillac instead of a minivan with a trailer attached to it.  You only need the 400 pound model but I wanted to be ahead of the game if I decided to move to a larger trailer (and tow vehicle) in the future.  Looking at a bigger tow vehicle in the next year or two, no plans on getting rid of the pod!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 8:38pm
Just got our 177 in October. Pulled it home to Wyoming in some fierce winds at 60 mph and didn't seem to have any sway or bounce issues. Tow vehicle is a 2011 Toyota Tacoma 4dr, short bed with a Leer cap on the bed. At the moment we are not planning on adding any form of stabilization or sway control to our hitch. Time will tell   ...

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 10:29pm
I am with Tpierce and Xpod, the pods are light the big problem is the side area and cross winds. I have the friction type antisway bar and have no problems, I have pulled it without the anti sway and still it tracked true, I think the light tongue weight helps, I dont feel you need a weight distribution set up.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 12:05am
My '10  177T RPOD is in the area of 2700 lbs.... Unloaded.  With a full load of water and equip. I could see me going over 3500 lbs.  My factory installed receiver is rated over 5000 lbs. But I just noticed that the 2 inch ball I put on the hitch says its rated at only 3500 lbs. I'm new to heavy trailering .... Is there a 5000 lb. rated  2 inch ball? ... Or another solution?

Bill-GA
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 12:10am
Yeah Bill   ...the difference is in the diameter of the shaft under the ball. If you get 2" ball with the thicker shaft it will have the higher rating.

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>