R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich Hitch?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Hitch?
    Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Footslogger03

Yeah Bill   ...the difference is in the diameter of the shaft under the ball. If you get 2" ball with the thicker shaft it will have the higher rating.

MJ
Thanks. I'm off to the store!
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
Tidalwave4455 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 9:16am
I have the Equalizer E2 (600 lbs) WDH with friction sway bars. I tow with a Chevy Silverado PU (with tow-haul). I almost have to remind myself that I am towing the Pod even in high cross winds.  There is essentially no porpoising of the Pod (Nothing flies out of the cabinets).  It might be 'belt with suspenders', but I like the peace of mind.
I have seen a minivan with five people towing a 171 Pod with just a regular hitch.  I just shook my head in disbelief.  They must be going in first gear whenever they went up a hill.
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 9:44pm
I picked up a new 2 inch ball rated at 6000 lbs (shaft was larger than what I had - rated at 3500 lbs) and installed it with my adapter for a fiction anti-sway attachment.  I didn't think I really need an anti-sway bar until I read about being passed by trucks that push air sideways as they pass and cause sideways oscillation.  It sounds very plausible, but I haven't taken a long trip yet and experienced this real time. But I WILL install the friction sway bar when I travel.
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
rid415 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 6:51pm
i was told by my dealer  and  and forest river that  wd and or sway bar that this stuff wasnt required and not recomended for all  r-pods and driving back from calgary it wasnt an issue. pod pulled fine and did not sway at all. 
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 9:16pm
I have pulled local short trips without antisway (friction clamp type ) but on the interstate and in windy conditions and when those 80 thousand pound 80 mph beheamouths pass you, I think the anti sway makes a difference, I have tried both, I dont feel the equalization cinch chain type is needed for the light weight R Pod, but I have never towed out west in the flat lands with 40mph cross winds.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
smarsh102 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 12:37am
I use the Reese 350 Mini WD to tow our 172 behind a Chrysler Pacifica. I am very happy with the set up and although I don't have a lot of experience towing I am very comfortable towing the pod around and have not experienced any kind of sway.

This option was considerably cheaper than the Equalizer hitch.

http://reeseprod.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=1600&catID=1605&part=66024

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 7:29am
Welcome to the group smarsh102!  Thaank you for your comment.  Please feel free to make plenty of comments , ask questions, tell stories,...whatever! Smile
smarsh102 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by David

Welcome to the group smarsh102!  Thaank you for your comment.  Please feel free to make plenty of comments , ask questions, tell stories,...whatever! Smile

Thanks David. I am a long time lurker, well 1 season and the research before I bought..

I am hoping to add some information once in a while.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12