R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHeater Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heater Issue
    Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 6:14pm
My heater doesn't seem to ignite. It's a new trailer and I haven't used the heater yet. I lit the stove for 1 min to get the propane flowing. Then I turned on the heater. It blows cool air and clicks about 3 times trying to ignite but never does. It just continues to blow cold air for about 5 min and turns itself off.

Am I doing something wrong?
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 10:03pm
nope, had the same problem with my 2011 RP-172, the furnace is the last in the circuit, so when the tank is first turned on until an appliance is used gas has not got to the furnace yet. turn the lp tank on, make sure the cook top will light, then turn the water heater on with gas (make sure the water heater has water in it) after it lights gas should have moved down the line to let the heater (noisy) light. I had the same excact problem, but also my lp gas tank was not purged before filling and we had to let the air out of it, then I did not have any further problems. The gas heater will run you out of the pod, but its a little noisy.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
mt868 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 7:58am
dsmiths,

My water heater is empty and I've already winterized so I don't want to fill it up and turn it on. Is there no way the gas can get to the heater without going thru the water heater first? 

As I said, the gas does get to the stove so I'm not sure why it's not getting to the heater.

tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 9:42am
I'm trying to remember back to April, but I know that I had to turn on the stove to help get gas into the trailer.  Once I did that, I was able to get the fridge to light along with the furnace.  We didn't have hot water the first night we used the trailer, so I don't think there's a connection between the water heater and the furnace.  

Maybe something got into the exhaust vent, like a mud dauber, and clogged up something?  Other than that, I'm sure that someone might have an idea.  

Good luck!

Tim
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 10:28am
Mt868, I had the same problem the first time out, I did'nt understand tht the furnace was last in line for gas. Light your cook top stove and let it run, try to start the furnace, it may take 2 or 3 cycles to get it going, your can look at the front of the furnace and see blue flame when it lights. I think what is going on is after 2 or 3 tries without lighting the furnace shuts down for safety. go to the thermostat, set on heat and run the temp up to force it to retry, mine started after a couple of attempts, it does a great job of heating the pod. good luck
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
lift kit
mt868 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 8:13pm
I finally got it to work! I guess the 4th time's the charm. So I guess it takes 4-5 tries for it to work if it's been idle for a while.
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 9:45pm
I found that once you get the air purged out of the line to the furnace, it will light every time, its a real good heater, it will have the chill out of the air in a jiffy. The last time we had ours out, we left the furnace on and drove down town and milled around when we got back, it was as warm as toast inside.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
lift kit
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 10:55pm
mt868, what model pod do you have?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual