R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPoor TV Antennae Reception

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poor TV Antennae Reception
    Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 11:35am
I have a round rooftop antennae. There's also a signal boost button inside that I turn on. The channels don't all come in very well. Some channels are ok but others will go in and out. When I install a rabbit ear inside without booster, the signal is a little better.

I would think the external antennae with booster would be better than inside rabbit ears without booster. Any ideas what's going on?
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 12:09pm
Your doing better than I am.  Most times I can't get any TV signals.  With Florida as flat as it is you would thing I shouldn't have any problems, but I do.  Good luck with yours.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Tidalwave4455 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 3:12pm
The Winegard round 'amplified' TV antenna found on the R-Pods has just about the weakest reception of any RV antenna!  TV antennas really need to be pointed at the broadcast tower.  But since the round antenna cannot be pointed, about all that can be done is try to amplify the weak signal pulled off the round antenna.  The steerable batwing Winegard Sensar antenna needs a flat roof to fold down onto when traveling, so that antenna usually cannot be used on a Pod. You could install a cross-type antenna in a tube which is attached to the side of the Pod...but you would have to go outside every time to turn the antenna.
No real solution.
Also when digital broadcast started, there was quite a loss of reception distance.
The old analog signals could be picked up quite a distance from the broadcast tower, if you were willing to accept a weak signal with static in it.  The new digital signals are all or nothing.  The receivers refuse to display if the signal strength is below a certain minimal level. And in addition,
the broadcasters were allowed to put more than one sub-channel onto their signal (e.g. 5-1, 5-4, etc.)...they then cut the power for each sub-channel.  This cut down the broadcast distance even more.  I live in a rural area...before digital I could receive 10-12 channels even if some were somewhat sparkly.  Now...I can only get about 7 channels...and 3 come and go as atmospheric conditions change.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 11:04pm
One minor correction to Tidalwave's info, adding sub-channels to the transmission maintains the same overall power (its a single digital stream of data whether there is 1 channel or 3).  However, it reduces the quality of each channel since each one must be compressed more to fit.  Often broadcasters will heavily downgrade sub-channel quality or remove them completely during prime time or special events (Superbowl) in order to reduce compression on the main channel.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 11:07am
We've had horrible luck with the television antennae, but we've come to realize that we really don't want to watch television when we're camping.  We end up checking DVDs from the Oswego library to take with us that we'll end up watching at night before we go to bed.  Our library allows us to check out DVDs for free, so it makes for a low cost entertainment option that, in many cases, beats what's on television these days.
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
Tidalwave4455 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 1:15pm
What I miss most about the significant decrease in broadcast distances is the loss of Doppler weather broadcasts.  Weather alert radios may warn you about an approaching storm...but the really dangerous portion of the storm may or may not be near your location.  With Doppler you can see if the worst is coming toward your specific camping area.  
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 6:59pm
Great Idea, I need to check our library before heading out, I like documentaries, history, outdoors, wildlife, that would be great to watch while winding down from the day, and not fill our heads with foolishness.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 7:34pm
I know it's not an option for everyone, but satellite solves the problem for us...
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 9:11pm
Tidalwave, I use my cell phone internet connection when we camp specifically to check on the radar.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 9:54am
I, too, use my cell phone if I need to pull up the radar.  The two of us take our laptops with us, and we do have a hotspot that we can use as well to watch Netflix.  There are times, though, when I look back at my childhood and all we would have is the radio most of the time.  I thought that it was cool that we brought a black and white television with us, but I think that it was so that my mom could watch the Cubs games.  
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>