R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPoor TV Antennae Reception

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poor TV Antennae Reception
    Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 12:21pm
I, too, have  tried to use my cell for weather radar...but I camp just south of Canadian border in MidWest. More than 50%, there was no adequate cell reception.  Some areas are known for totally dead reception (not enough population to justify erecting towers).  I broke down in Northern MN last year. Absolutely no reception...passing motorist wrote down my location...drove 30 more miles before his cell worked.  He could only reach '911'...local sheriff's department had to install their own cell tower just to provide partial emergency service to more than 1/2 the county!  Sheriff called wrecker to come tow me in.  So if no 911 service...certainly no weather reception!
Same kind of problem in north central Montana.  Only one telcom company had any service at all.
Finally, I bought a Winegard portable-automatic 'Carryout' sat dish. I 'justified' the cost for the weather radar reception. But campsite still has to have line-of-sight' clearance to receive broadcasts and 120VAC.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 5:19pm

Ok, I can see the problem!  Unbelievable that the sheriff's office had to install a cell tower...

You could get an inverter to power your system when you are boondocking.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 2:46pm
I have a "hotspot" on my cell phone so I can have not only phone but also computer, iPad, everything right. WRONG! I have AT&T so I have never, yes never been to a campground where there was cell reception. I always have to drive out of the campground to the interstate or main road and even then sometimes not. I have made a passive investigation into satellite but from what I can find the cost is just totally out of the question.
Z-pod
Chuck Janet & Bogie the dog
'12 RP 177
1972 Shasta 1400
2005 Ford F-150 5.3L V8
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 5:31pm
We found several of the campgrounds that advertised wi-fi had it in the lodge but no where else.  And the places we wanted to camp were often not on the cell phone grid.
Hansonz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 4:24pm
We purchased a Tailgater system that we plan on taking along. Dish Network sells it, but I bought ours off Ebay. The nice thing is you only pay for the time you use it (it will cost us 7.00 per month for the months we use it). Picks up all 3 sats automatically. Just got tired of not getting anything on TV in the evenings.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 10:10pm
Sounds cool.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12