R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan I tow without Tow Pkg?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I tow without Tow Pkg?
    Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 8:46am
I have a 2008 Toyota Highlander. It has no tow pkg. The Highlander with tow pkg can tow 5k lbs. I've been towing my rig (2011 MPG 3200 lbs) since May 2011 without problems but haven't gone farther than 30 miles one way.

I've been thinking about adding a transmission cooler. Will this be sufficient? Or do I need to get a new vehicle? I want to go on longer trips but not sure how the Highlander will handle it.
sfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 9:36am
I would ask my Toyota dealer what is included in the trailer tow package. Some just add a heavy duty flasher and a hitch and others add the tranny cooler. I would think that a tranny cooler would be all you need to add.
sjf
duck42 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 1:23pm
We have a 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid, wasn't purchased with a tow package and added the tow bar later. Not sure if it has a transmission cooler or not but we have towed our 171 from Salt Lake City to Vermont and back with no over heating or problems other than gas mileage dropping from 25 to 12. Not sure about extended periods of time on very mountainous roads, but our Toyota dealer said we should be fine and so far he was right. I think you would be fine without the transmission cooler or a new vehicle.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 7:29pm
Can you afford to replace the tranny?Confused

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 8:48am
Can I tow without Tow Pkg?

Why would you want to even try?  Seriously.  Because you did and you can, so what?  Why are you putting your family and risk and my family at risk with that combo on the road?  If life and death doesn't matter to you, maybe you're more of a financial person.  What about the money (thousands) you'll spend in repairs to the breaking system, transmission, cooling, etc?

Sorry for being harsh, but I just don't get some people.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 7:24pm
Talk to your dealer about your tow rating.  I bet he wants you to get the tow package.

Terry

EDIT:  I just looked your vehicle up.  Without a tow package 2,000 pound limit.  With the tow package it is 3,500 pounds.  So even with the tow package you would not be very safe.  Myself, I would want at least 1,000 pounds to play around with.
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 7:48pm
As an Auto shop repair owner (Ac Delco Tech Shop) as a rule the only difference between tow package and non is a larger capacity radiator/cooling fan/fan clutch combo. there is generally a transmission oil cooler. ( extreme heat is death to an automatic transmission) the frames between tow and non tow is the same. Sometimes larger tow vehicles 3/4 and 1 ton have larger brakes, larger swept area on front brake rotors and larger diameter rear shoes/rotors. the Meat in towing is "pulling and stopping" Ask local Transmission (trusted) and Repair facilities. Your Dealer should be able to answer your questions. Go to the service department and talk to the Service Manager, not the Service wrighter. Good Luck, stay safe.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 8:41pm
As long as the trailer brakes are working as they should there isn't a safety issue, only a reliability issue for the vehicle.  A 3500 pound tow limit is ok for a pod, with a decent margin.  The key is having enough horsepower and torque and moving up to a 5000 pound tow limit vehicle gets you the power you need.  The pod has a high wind resistance once you get above 55 mph, which is the reason for needing some power.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
duck42 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 4:29pm

Quoting from a transmission cooler web site: "Adding a transmission cooler and distributing trailer weight does not constitute a tow package. Transmission coolers do not add to the tow capacity of the vehicle. They can reduce wear and tear on transmissions used for towing by keeping heat levels down, but they do not make the transmission capable of pulling more weight.  Tow packages often include things like a heavier suspension, integrated hitch, wiring, stronger transmission, stronger/braced frames, and the larger of the available motors".

I would take my VIN number to my Toyota dealer and get their opinion on the tow capacity of your particular model of Highlander and whether or not it needs a transmission cooler. They may say it might be adequate for short trips on relatively level roads but not for higher speeds on longer trips  or mountain roads. Let us know what the dealer says, thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply