R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack vs. Gray ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black vs. Gray ...
    Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 10:08am
Not new to camping by a long shot    ...but all our previous campers were really basic - - e.g. No internal plumbing.

So, now we've got R-Pod (177) and next spring will be headed out to shake down our new RV.

Bottom line     ...we've never had to hook up a black or gray water hoses. When you are in your campsite do you just hook up the gray water hose to PVC pipe and leave it open while you are there?     ...and do you just keep the black water tank full until you leave and then hit the dump station as you leave themcampground?   ...or are there both gray AND black water pipes in all/most campsites?

Probably seems like a dumb question to those of you who have had these capabilities in your campers for years     ...but it's all new forus.

Thanks in advance for not laughung out loud at my question    ...and I appreciate any and all responses and tips.

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
turncoat3 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 10:57am
We have had our 177 for two years and what I have done at all of the camp sites we visit is to not connect the gray or black water discharges until I see that the tanks are 2/3 full.  I connect the black water first and drain the tank, then connect the gray water and drain the tank.  My thought is that the gray water flushes out the sewer hose after the black water to keep a little cleaner.  If the campsite has a sewer connection, then I assume both tanks can be put in the same connection. I am sure that  you will do a great job and enjoy the 177 as much as we do.
Ben & Lorrie
2013 Surveyor 264
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 11:07am
Originally posted by turncoat3

We have had our 177 for two years and what I have done at all of the camp sites we visit is to not connect the gray or black water discharges until I see that the tanks are 2/3 full.  I connect the black water first and drain the tank, then connect the gray water and drain the tank.  My thought is that the gray water flushes out the sewer hose after the black water to keep a little cleaner.  If the campsite has a sewer connection, then I assume both tanks can be put in the same connection. I am sure that  you will do a great job and enjoy the 177 as much as we do.

====================

Thanks for hat quick reply. For some reason I always thought the black water dump station was different than that of the gray water one. As for the 2/3 full aspect    ...I understand and completely agree.

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Footslogger03

Not new to camping by a long shot    ...but all our previous campers were really basic - - e.g. No internal plumbing.

So, now we've got R-Pod (177) and next spring will be headed out to shake down our new RV.

Bottom line     ...we've never had to hook up a black or gray water hoses. When you are in your campsite do you just hook up the gray water hose to PVC pipe and leave it open while you are there?     ...and do you just keep the black water tank full until you leave and then hit the dump station as you leave themcampground?   ...or are there both gray AND black water pipes in all/most campsites?

Probably seems like a dumb question to those of you who have had these capabilities in your campers for years     ...but it's all new forus.

Thanks in advance for not laughung out loud at my question    ...and I appreciate any and all responses and tips.

MJ
We usually camp at state parks with full service hook-up sites, with sewer dump at the campsite. While they do sell y- connectors that allow you to drain gray and black at the same time, I usually just attach a hose to the gray tank and leave the valve open. You will find varying opinions on this. The day before we leave I will close the gray valve to let the tank fill. This in order to flush the hose out after I drain the black tank on departure. If it is not a full hook-up site, then I just empty the tanks at the dump site that is usually located at the entrance. I don't think (and I could be wrong) that there are separate dumps for gray and black water , if that is what you are asking; it all goes into the same hole. And yes, you do want the black tank as full as possible to let gravity help you get a good flush. If you do not think it is at least 3/4 full, then let it fill with just water to get it up.
I'm thinking (at great peril) that maybe boon-docking site would not have dump sites, but don't know.
Hope this helps.
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 5:26pm
Your 177 most likely has the flushing system like ours does for the black water tank.  If I am at a full hookup site I hook up a freshwater hose (not the one for drinking water in the pod) to the flushing port on the side of the pod and give it a good cleaning after draining.  Then drain the grey tank to clean out the hose just a little more.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 7:37pm
The reasoning for not leaving your gray tank open is the same as the black tank.  If there is no water in the tank solids can stick inside.  You want solids suspended or floating in the water as much as you can so they get flushed out.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
 Post Reply Post Reply