R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterizing adventure - late in the season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing adventure - late in the season
    Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 5:01pm
Okay, okay . . . I put off winterizing as LONG as I possibly could, and so far I haven't needed to, BUT it's going to get down to 20 here in north Georgia tonight, so yesterday I decided I just couldn't put it off any longer.  Luckily I had already drained all the water lines, and the potable water tank after my last camping trip.

The hardest part was getting under the  *!!%#!!*  mattress in the RP 177.  It's definitely a 2-man job - that's why I am replacing the  *!!%#!!*  mattress  -- I like to be able to do things by myself.  My husband opted out and called my eldest son to come help me.  Picture a 6' 5" guy in Mom's R-Pod!  He beat a hasty retreat and went to get the sockets for his wrench so he could drain the hot water tank.  That left me and his girlfriend to access the water valves under the bed.  I held the mattress and she worked the screwdriver on the plywood under the bed.  Who in the world decided on those weird little screw heads with the little square design instead of the regular Philips screw heads?!!  (Merely a rhetorical question, I assure you.)

Well, we were successful in the end, and got the 3 valves turned in the opposite direction.  Now I'm not sure Techntrek or Terry might approve of my next step because this is NOT what Tech recommends in the little manual he's assembling for all of us.  However, my way is the lazy (OOPS, I mean EASY way) to pump in the RV antifreeze.  I got 3 gallons of RV antifreeze and with a funnel poured it into the potable water tank.  I turned on the water pump and all the spigots and flushed the toilet several times and let all the pink stuff run through for a few seconds until it was all running nice and pink.  I also poured a little more pink stuff down all the drains and into the black water tank.   So hopefully, I'm protected, even if it wasn't done quite the traditional way and even though it took a little more antifreeze than the recommended way.  It was still cheaper than letting the dealer do it for me.

And I'm thinking . . . in just 3 or 4 more months . . . I might just be able to go camping again.  I can hardly wait.

Winter dreams of happy podding to all!

Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12