Topic ClosedI like this camper - Chalet Takena

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I like this camper - Chalet Takena
    Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 8:07pm
     I would rather have the Rpod with a fiberglass roof. The extra space would be very nice to have. One of the reasons we chose the Rpod was the fiberglass exterior roof and sides. Easy to maintain and lasts a long time.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 8:47pm

Here's a direct link to their 5th wheel.  http://escapetrailer.com/Products/Escape50.aspx

I agree that FR plays the same game with the Pod on the fresh water size.

And I agree that the fiberglass construction is probably better long-term.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 5:04am
Wait a minute.....I thought we were spending TECHNTREK's money!!!! LOL

Thanks for the tip and link.  It seems similar to the Scamp but, I like it's look/styling much better.  I wonder if they would do some custom work? Ying Yang I really don't need or want a big dinette and would rather have a larger bathroom/floor space.  The tank sizes are a bit smaller than I would like but, when dry camping, one could always use the external/portable tanks.  Weight and size wise, it's right where I want to be. 

My Coleman is aluminum framed with fiberglass walls that are gel coated, similar to the Pod.  It has the EDPM rubber roof.  I found the article very interesting.  Personally, I don't worry about it.  With proper maintenance, it should last longer than I will own the unit.  IMHO, anything is going to weather and oxidize with time....even fiberglass with gel coat.  My old 5th wheel had a solid aluminum skin for a roof and other than checking the sealer around the vents, etc., it was maintenance free.  But, as the aluminum oxidized, the black streaks were a constant (and difficult to remove) battle.  The proposition seems to be; what kind of maintenance/problems does a person want to deal with?  To each his own.

Buying and selling in general.....about the only one who comes out ahead (money wise) in the proposition is the RV  dealer.  With that said, there are folks who spend much more on boats, motorcycles, etc.  I think Tech and I camp about the same amount - 30 to 40 days per year.  Spending that much time in an RV (by my reasoning) justifies getting something that I like and fills my needs.  Does buying/selling a camper make good financial sense....hell no!  Everything about these things are money gobblers....right down to buying wood for the campfire.  But, sometimes in life, it's OK to get something just because you want it. Smile 

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 8:22pm

You ain't spending my money yet.  My Pod is paid for, and a new TV comes first.  But its nice to dream a little.  Pinch

I swore I would never own a boat (unless I won the lottery) because it is a black hole in the water into which money enters but never comes back out.  Now I'm starting to wonder if camping isn't much different than boating.  Except we get to make campfires, and smores.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 1:05pm
Funny......I was talking with my insurance man a couple of months ago and he owned a boat.  The way he explained the "boat experience":

The second happiest day in your life is when you buy a boat.
The happiest day in your life is the day you get rid of it!  LOL

I'm much the same with the samll 5th wheel...just dreaming ahead.  This kitchen remodel I'm doing is going to keep me poor and humble for a while.
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 1:22pm
We've been dreaming about going up to a 172 or 171 because of the dog situation, but it all comes down to the fact that we got the 152 for the low hitch weight and if we got anything bigger, we probably won't take it out as often which would kind of defeat the whole purpose of owning one.

Originally we had planned to sleep in the bunks and leave the dinette up, but the dog wouldn't settle down and played musical beds throughout the night.  So we ended up extending the dinette so we could both squish in with the dog.   

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 3:11pm
Hey tech,

When we bought our RP 175, we really liked the layout of the Takena too, but immediately eliminated it from our list of possible purchases. We had a Chalet, and weren't impressed with the quality. The longer we owned it, the more tight jawed we became with it. Five years was way too long-leaks, poor construction, and cheap accessories. Of the 5 trailers we've owned it was our worst experience. Just my experience, but never again with that company for me!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 8:01pm
Very interesting, thanks.  A lot of A-frame owners I've spoken with (in person and online) seem to be satisfied - what model did you have?
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 8:59am
I seriously thought about getting the Chalet A frame - but that was before I found the R-Pod.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 3:04pm
Tech,
We had a 1930 (one of the larger Chalets). We purchased it new, and it wasn't cheap. We had hoped to keep it for a long time, but the bubble roof windows warped around the edges and leaked profusely, as did the roof vent. The frame rails rusted worse and more quickly than any other trailer we had owned (2 Skylines, and an Arctic Fox). The  cabinets were very poorly constructed. After 5 years of ownership I was spending more time with maintenence than camping. I know lots of people love their Chalets, but I'm not one of them. It did tow nicely and I got good mileage compared to the Pod @ 12-15 mpg compared to the Pod standard 10-12 mpg.

The Arctic Fox and our current RP 175 are much easier to live with. RVing is supposed to be fun, and it wasn't for us with the Chalet. The low end Skylines (Aljo and Layton) were even better built at much lower prices.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>