Topic ClosedNE Roundup 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: NE Roundup 2012
    Posted: 30 May 2012 at 8:39pm
OK R-Pod campers, we spent the Memorial Day weekend at Frances Slocum State Park in the Poconos. Very nice park, quiet, verrryy clean!, and pleasant. PAparks are great, but adult beverages are a no-no.
We promised to visit the Pioneer Campground about 45 miles west near LaPorte PA on US 220. So we did, and introduced ourselves as reps of a group of R-Podders interested in finding a place where we could all be close together in a pleasant place. The campground has been revamped since we were last there. New gravel roads and sites. very clean, pool (salt water), entertainment, and at 2000 feet on top of a ridge, it is cooler than valley sites. It is also at the east end of the "Endless Mountains" an area of PA that includes a number of neat state parks and small towns in the northern half of PA, including the Grand Canyon of PA - a 1500 foot deep river gorge with access on both sides.
the camp owner was delighted to help us figure out which weekend would be the best in terms of open sites. We told her late August or September would fit best into schedules at theis time. Her main openings for 6-8 sites together are the last weekend in August 24-26 or in September 7-9, 21-23 or 28-30. Labor Day already has a group in place. There is no reason that the days before and after a weekend couldn't be reserved as well. We will be in contact with her as the summer progresses. But once we agree on a good (or better) weekend for us all, then we can start doing reservations. She is willing to assist by moving a couple of reservations around so we can be together. Current open areas with water and electric are around the STOP sign in the center of the park. all electric sites have cable TV.
If you visit www.pioneercampground.com, there is a map, photos, list of activities and rates. I have a number of brochures, maps and the like i can mail if someone wants them.       
For information about the region visit www.endlessmountains.org, and www.sullivanpachamber.com.
From central NJ (Princeton area) it was 150 miles up the Northeast Extension of the PA TPK and then about 45 miles across county/state highways - one hour or so. total about 4-4.5 hours. From east or west the easiest access is I80 to I180 to US 220. From the south or north, I81 takes you to the region. A number of good grades on in the area, but we had no real problems with our rig.

Please check the campground out. We have found that area to be very pleasant and 'out of the way'! It is also in one of the darker areas of the NorthEast for sky watching. I will have my small reflector scope with us for folks who want to take a tour of the heavens.

I will also post this on the nation forum, as I note a number of other Philly , NY and CT, NJ area podders have joined the forums to learn more about our passion!

What is your choice for the best week end?

Cheers, the newly retired Walt
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 2:34am
Way to go on retiring!  Boy this means you get to camp even more now.  I will look into our schedule but sept 22 or 29th works better for us
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 7:56am
Looks like a decent campground.  What do you like about the commercial campground vs. the state park you were in?  About a 3 hour drive for us so doable for a weekend w/o taking any extra time off, which is always a problem for my wife during the school year.

Early September is probably better for us.  Late August my wife is back to work so she probably won't want to go anywhere, and the weekend of 9/28 we already have a camping trip planned with my wife's girl scout troop.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 8:29pm
We liked the warm and friendly feeling at Pioneer. There is a pool too. The other thing is that many of the PA Parks in that area seem to be suburban, whereas the Pioneer is on top of a ridge line (2000 ft)in an area surrounded by large parks, conservation areas and wildlife management areas (don't be fooled by the entry road- there is a large fracking depot yard at the corner.) Once one is in the camp it is quiet and calm. The owner was very helpful and imitmated that she would move other campers around to get a group as close together as she could - the SP is first come, first served. Pioneer has a stocked store, where the SP doesn't. In the SP there is also the large number of posted signs for alcohol prohibition, which puts a damper on group get-togethers.   

We are thinking that we would set up for the first weekend that at least three Pods can be together, and hope that the rest can free up that time to join us.
Walt
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 6:38pm
Our schedule is firming up for September. The best weekend for us is 22-23 September. If we can get some others on that weekend I will go back to Kathy, the campground owner, and tell her to expect a pod of Pods (just what is the collective form of R-Pod, anyway?) that weekend.
That should be a good weekend- warm days-cool nights! Maybe even some color on the trees in the highlands.

Let us know. Walt
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 8:12pm
Poda?  Podi?  Podii (like plural Prius - Prii)?  Ped (like goose - geese)?  Poden (ox - oxen)?  

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 4:27pm
I dunno Doug, some of those don't sound too clean (or easy to say)!!
I like a pod of Pods.
I have two affirmatives from the [other] forum for the weekend of the 22nd of September. That makes four I think. So I will write to Kathy at Pioneer and let he know to expect a pod of us that weekend. I will try to convince Chris to make it a long weekend (easy to say now that I am retired .
We will all have to make own own reservations at www.pioneercampground.com.

See you in September (when the summer's through)!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 6:26pm
Just talked to my wife, and we will be there!  It will be two camping trips in two weekends, but what the heck.
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 4:11pm
We can't be sure about the dates until end of June :(

How many pods will we have for this PA roundup?  
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 5:45pm
Hi Tracy. If you folks can make it, we wil have six. I hope more will sign on as time goes on!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>