R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat cutlery, plates and cups do you use?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What cutlery, plates and cups do you use?
    Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 6:54pm
   We use corelle, they have been droped, banged, microwaved and have had no problems, still the same as new. That was about 25 years ago. They were given to us by our mother. She replaced hers with new ones that are square.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 8:44pm
As Techntrek can testify, we travel with a fairly sophisticated kitchen. Some of it is over thirty years old from our early days tenting, some of it is new- we just 'retired' a decent 10" nonstick skillet to the camp kitchen. We have always since we were students, carried stemmed crystal wine glasses and now have a set of double old fashioned tumblers (fromTJMaxx) we use for other adult beverages. But our cook set is a nesting set we bought way back when and the flatware is cobbled together from various sources, as are our cutting boards and kitchen utensils.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 8:57am
I have a set of melamine dishes bought from an end-of-summer clearance sale.  I have a set of nesting pots (removable handles).  All my silverware and cooking utensils are from the dollar store.  If it's just a couple of us camping out I use my dishes, but if I have a crowd I go the disposable plates and plasticware route.  My one little luxury is my Keurig coffepot made for dorm rooms.  And I also have an electric pot (deep fryer strainer removed) that I can use to cook a pot roast, chili and beans, or something similar.  It's faster and more versatile than a crock pot, and I can put it on a table and cook outside if I want to.  For outside, I also love my O Grill with folding stand.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 9:46pm
We have a few melamine dishes we have been using for years, a cheap set of nesting pots and pans including the 'tea kettle'  a saucepan used for pretty much everything but especially making tea- very beloved because of the wooden replacement knob Tom whittled in the Cypress Hills when our children were babies. Because we are always checking Goodwill and other thrift shops for antiques we usually have silverplate or sterling cutlery (but not always matching) and the same for crystal stemware. They make the melamine look elegant! We have a small slow cooker and a colander, a slotted spoon and an egg/hamburger flipper. The stores around here call them spatulas but our family has always called them flippers. A spatula to us is the thing you empty the mixing bowl with...
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 5:24am
Wow, I must be the odd man out.  LOL  I've taken into account the added weight of china, but I just can't seem to give up the nice china, silverware and cookware I use at home.  For the sake of weight, I limited myself to three place settings, but I think I have about 8 or 9 coffee mugs.  I still use my favorite Tfall stuff.  I have it pretty well organized in the three drawers that are provided under the sink.  I have the silverware and some cooking utensils in the top drawer, the china plates bowls and mugs in the second drawer, and the tin foil, plastic wrap and longer cooking utensils in the bottom drawer.  The only thing I am concerned about is how much weight these drawers can handle without causing any undo stress on what ever holds the drawer up when closed.  The top and bottom drawer are perfect for weight, but I may decide to lighten the middle drawer later, maybe taking the smaller plates out.  In the cabinet below the cooktop, I have the pots and pans as well as the thermos and some other odds and ends.  

In the cabinet above the cooktop I have the glasses, the coffee maker, blender, and the Nuwave oven.  If you've never seen this little oven in action, it uses light waves and convection to cook everything from a small pizza, to baking bread, cakes, pies, turkey and everything in between.  All this and it only uses 800 watts of power and 6.67 amps.  That is like having a microwave, but this thing reheats pizza and bread as if it just came out of the oven.  Oh, and I bought the mini Nuwave.  The larger one just seemed like it would waste valuable space.  Check it out.  They really are awesome.

The only other think I would really like to find is a coffee maker that will run off of my DC plug without using a lot of power.  I have yet to find one that uses less voltage than the normal.  Funny story...  On my first camping experience with the Pod, I decided to dry camp without power, but I did have the Yamaha 2000i generator.  Well, I could use most everything in that Pod, TV and all without any noticeable stress or workload on the generator.  The moment I started percolating coffee, I heard the generator kick up a notch until the coffee was done.  That was pretty funny, but it does show you how much electricity making a pot of coffee requires.  

If anyone has a better alternative in electric coffee makers, let me know.  I could use my camping (green percolator pot from Walmart) coffee maker, but the electric coffee makers seem to be cleaner and leave less grinds in the coffee. 
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 8:31am
Anything electrical you have that generates heat (coffee pot, toaster, hair dryer, etc) will never be easy on power resources.  The only other option that I can think of for coffee is using that tea-bag like drop-ins or one of those perculator type coffee pots that you put on the stove or campfire.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Ks.Kev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 5:18pm

We use this
coffe_pot.jpg
to save the battery, and it works very well on the 2 burnner stove![
Kevin & Donna
2010 R-Pod 176
2011 Ford F150
Lariat Supercrew
Folornhope View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 11:52pm

One electric coffee pot (the smallest footprint I could find for a full size pot).
2 frying pans, one 9" and one 12" (don't remember where they came from)
One sauce pan with lid
An assortment of cutting knives I've had for years
1 flipper thingy
Bought two sets of four knives,forks, spoons (Target)
Four large plates, some kinda plastic (Target)
Four smaller plates, some kinda plastic (Target)
Two stainless steel insulated cups (large)...don't remember where I got them, but they are way cool
Some plastic tumblers and wine glasses

We have a small crockpot that just got replaced at the house so it may find its was into Eddy as well.
Eddy the Escape Pod...177
Ford F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Folornhope

We have a small crockpot that just got replaced at the house so it may find its was into Eddy as well.

That's what we did, one of the best additions we made to the pod.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 1:24pm
We just have a big sleeve of red solo cups.Thumbs Up

But if we were going to eat while camping.. paper and plastic all the way.  Most of our cooking gear is the same stuff we have had for backpacking since the 70's. In the pod.

We do have a nice set of Corelle in the 'stream, with real silverware and glasses. But they were a gift. And way more storage area in 31 feet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>