R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat cutlery, plates and cups do you use?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What cutlery, plates and cups do you use?
    Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 4:23pm
I was wondering what types of plates, cups and cutlery everyone is using in their pods.  I've read that some collect vintage melamineware, some airstream people are fanatical about their stainless plates and bowls while others insist on the same china and crystal that they have at home.

We currently have a combination of mostly kitchen utensil castoffs, Kuhn Rikon Colori knives, color-coded cutting mats, Ikea $3.99 cutlery set, Walmart $1.00 microwave-safe melamine plates and bowls, promotional mugs, and GSI plastic nesting wineglasses.

For cookware, we did cave in and buy a stainless nesting set as our pod is not parked at our house and we kept on "needing" something in the pod that was at home, or at home that was in the pod Tongue

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 6:10pm
You are probably going to be underwhelmed with my response but, here goes:
I have/carry:

2 blue plates that are some sort of "plastic-like" material
no bowls - I eat out of the little pot that I cook in (see below)
no glasses - I drink out of the can or bottle it comes in
2 mis-matched forks
2 mis-matched spoons
2 mis-matched butter knives
2 mis-matched steak knives (the butter knives are actually sharper)

I'm not sure of the origins of any of the above. I've had it so long I'm not sure.  It may be stuff that my mother gave to me when I moved away from home (a few years ago).  I doubt that any of it is collectable.  Most folks of reasonable intelligence would probably not consider it even "remotely desirable".  But, it's what I have and I get by with it.

For cookware, I have:
A cheap aluminum packpack style "nesting" cook set that I have had since my late teens (a few years ago).  It has a skillet, a small pot and, a thing that is sort of a plate and sort of a bowl (it acts as the lid to the skillet when everything is "nested").  I don't use this.  It is Dixie's food dish/bowl/plate (whatever it is called).  I have a hamburger flipper thing/tool, also.  This tool probably has a proper name but, I don' know what that might be.  My coffee cup was given to me by a vendor (at work).

I don't do a lot of fancy cooking.  In fact, I am not even sure what I do fits the legal definition of "cooking".  I mostly just fix a steak/chop/burger on the campfire ring and munch on something like the Hostess donuts that are covered with white powdered sugar, or chips, etc.

It's not very impressive but, it's OK.

TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 7:36pm
Paper plates, bowels and plastic glasses.  I do have a couple of yard sale ceramic coffee cups.  Coffee pot, aluminum skillet, a 1 quart pan and a slow cooker.  My silverware match David!LOL  I have a burger flipper too.  I use it when I cook up eggs for breakfast.  I almost forgot...I have a toaster!  I like toast with my eggs.  If my wife ever went with me the camper would be full of junk then she would fill up the Jeep!Ouch

Terry 
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 8:23pm
When we 1st started camping quite a few years ago, we were into the house type dishes and plates, etc.  Since then, for everything possible, we use paper plates, paper bowels, heavy plastic utensils, etc.  Makes for an easy cleanup too.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 8:43pm

Heavy-duty plasticware and heavy-duty plastic disposable plates and bowls.  We wash and reuse all of it.  Really started by accident - friends of ours had the bowls when we all went camping years ago, to hold chilli.  They threw them all out but I couldn't live with that when they were so sturdy.  So I fished them out, washed them, and then bought the matching plates.  One nice feature, they have ridges on the edges so you can put a matching plate/bowl on top and use it to store leftovers.  All of our Tupperware usually goes into the house to be washed and never comes back out so we use this feature often.  Plastic cups and Starbucks-style hot beverage cups with tops for warm drinks on cool evenings.

Cheap aluminum pan and pot, old Crock Pot (which is GREAT for camping).  We have a cheap assortment of plastic serving utensils - spoon/ladle/spatula, etc, and one sharp knife.  

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 9:50pm
We are mainly using disposable stuff as well, including red Solo cups.  Cookware is minimalist and from Goodwill stores mainly.
profmagickb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 3:12am
I kinda do the same as the above just cornpone cuttlery and dishes.
I wash everything while in camp, but dispose later.
I have to have a tea kettle, whether i'm backpacking, poding, streaking, or at home.
I really like the Light My Fire Kits, it has everything you need and a cutting board.

I can't even begin to describe it.... you would just have to see for yourself....
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 11:02am
For dishware, we use Corel as it will not break and will, fortunate or not last forever.  We got silverware from Ikea really cheap.  The plastic glasses we got from the Crate and Barrel outlet store though they have not lasted as well as I would hope, so I'm looking to see if Costco is going to bring out their plastic drink ware in the next month or so.  

Be careful with melamine as there have been issues of making people ill.  Most definitely keep it out of the microwave.  
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
2Peas-n-Rpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 11:24am
As is the case with everyone else posting here, we have "silverware", a toaster, and a few small pots/pans from our college days. In the "ice chest" area of the garage, we keep an electric skillet and a one-burner hot plate for most of our cooking needs. The rest is done on the propane grill that hooks into the gas receptacle just under the sink. We also use some paper plates and other disposables when on the road. If we have a bottle of wine, we just use our mugs to drink from - nothing fancy for us. 
2011 R-Pod 182G Hood River Edition
"Ribbitt" Pod (now sold)
2000 Ford F150 5.4L V8 TV
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 2:54pm

I must have been more tired than I thought last night, I just made 2 edits to my post above.

We have an electric one-burner, too.  We do most of our cooking outside on it.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>