Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHello from Vancouver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from Vancouver
    Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 3:51pm

My good wife and I just committed to a 177 HRE.  Delivery in late February, probably, the dealer needed his current on-lot 177 for his upcoming Spring shows, and I'd rather have a straight off the delivery flatbed, spanking new, un-trampled optioned-up pod.  Very excited!

We have camped with the kids a fair bit, but now our youngest is 17.  Have a little self-built cabin (no power, outhouse) in the nearby BC mountains that has been our summer focus for 18 years - but with mountain weather, rough access challenges it really only works best from July to Labour Day.  But we're used to living by candle-light, being out under the stars, sleeping bags, coolers etc.,. 

After all these years going to one spot a lot every summer, and having rented a motorhome for some Oregon coast trips a handfull of times over the years when the kids were little, we have been building a list of trips we would like - Montana/Wyoming, the SW, Grand Canyon, Santa Fe, the Canadian Maritimes, New England, Dixie, Cypress Hills in Southern Alberta and Saskatchewan, Alaska Highway, Sierra Nevadas, plus a number of foodie festivals, wine country ... well, the list has grown quite a bit until we realized we want to see ... everywhere.  Transit was always an issue with my wife, but I love driving.  So the thought is I do the less interesting transit legs and she can fly to meet me for the touring, exploring.

My own motorhome experience was a bit of frustration in not being more mobile and nimble after we had arrived, for local exploration.  Loved the luxury, but felt like a turtle with a mighty big shell always stuck on me.  A car-towing set-up would be too big and involved for us, a big truck too inconvenient when home as we live in the city ... so go smaller seemed like the solution.  It will just be she, I and our energetic, mud-transporting Golden Retriever.  A Toyota Tacoma as TV. We're in the "city people having to store elsewhere" camp as well.  No place for a trailer at home, so I'll probably keep the trailer just over the line in a storage lot in rural Washington State - look out WalMart and Target!

Looked at the MPG, T@B's, other "conventional" lite-weights but thought the pod was the best fit for us.  
MANY, MANY thanks to those of you who post here and at Pod Nation - my hat is off to the originator of these sites as together they add huge value and accessibility to shoppers like us, and threads like modifications and maintenance are fantastic resources.  

Can't wait to get our unit and start podding when the sun climbs a little higher at noon.

Look forward to following the forums.

Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 5:04pm
You want to go to lots of the same places we like/want to visit.  We have a regular 177 and have found it ideal for many of the reasons you state. 

Enjoy your r-pod.  We sure do!
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 7:44pm
You are going to love pulling the pod, I am 62 and my wife will be 60 in feb, we have looked, smelled, touched but when we saw the pod, that was it. we got it late and used it twice, I have never seen my wife so excited about going camping, our son and I van/tent/sleeping bag camped for years, hunting and fishing but I could not get Donna intrested, and about 4 years ago I asked her to go with me tent camping at Hoosier National forest, 3000 acres of pure heavin on earth, trails, lakes, fishing, hiking, owls, eagles, wild mushroom hunting. see flipped out on the beauty of un developed country. She has become officialy "nuts over podding" can't wait for spring, or a least temps over 50 d/f. hope to see you out there.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 8:20pm
Welcome!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 4:00am
Welcome to the group!  Your gonna love camping in the Pod!Smile

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 11:29am
Welcome to the world of podding.  You're going to have lots of fun with all of those trips you have planned.  We do love pictures, so post them of the places you've been.

Tim
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
Countrygent View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 12:35pm
Thanks for the welcome.  Ordered a small awning for over the door (thanks to Diane "Hodge-PODge"'s inspiration.  Then noticed a little oil-filled plug-in radiator on sale when I was out this weekend.  And so it begins.  I don't even have my pod yet.  Going to have to set aside a corner of the basement for pod quartermastering.
Geoff & Tricia & Phoebe the Retriever
2012 177 HRE
Toyota Tacoma 6cyl
Little Bigpod
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 4:51pm
Welcome to the group!  Get ready for some fun out there! Smile
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 8:13pm
Welcome and happy podding!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Countrygent

Thanks for the welcome.  Ordered a small awning for over the door (thanks to Diane "Hodge-PODge"'s inspiration.  Then noticed a little oil-filled plug-in radiator on sale when I was out this weekend.  And so it begins.  I don't even have my pod yet.  Going to have to set aside a corner of the basement for pod quartermastering.

Hi!  Welcome to the world of podding!  I hope you will like your awning as much as I do mine.  It's perfect for just a couple day's camping when the weather's really nice and you don't need the R-Dome.  You will be so excited until you go on your first camping trip - have fun!
Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>