Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Wish List
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReading lights and/or AC outlet over bed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reading lights and/or AC outlet over bed
    Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 11:17am
We just bought a 2010 R-Pod, a 151 model, and took it out for its first trip last weekend. I noticed there are no electric outlets or reading lights over the bed area, perhaps because wiring would be hard to run across the shell of the trailer? But it would be nice to be able to read in bed.
Mike and Vana O'Brien
R-Pod RP 151 2010
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 12:28pm
Welcome to the forum!  I bought these high output LED spotlights (3-pk) from Amazon and put them over my bed.  They swivel for direction, and they even have a remote control.  You can space them around the pod according to your own preference.

They can be mounted either with the screw on plate or with the adhesive strip - both are provided, and use batteries, which are also provided. 

Diane

Let me qualify my earlier post.  I did not mount these LED lights on the ceiling over the bed - the R-Pod already comes with lights there.  I put these swivel lights on the pod walls over the head of the bed for better reading.  I don't really like reading by the overhead lights.

2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by mikeoregon

We just bought a 2010 R-Pod, a 151 model, and took it out for its first trip last weekend. I noticed there are no electric outlets or reading lights over the bed area, perhaps because wiring would be hard to run across the shell of the trailer? But it would be nice to be able to read in bed.

That's interesting.  My 2010 RP-151 has (2) lights over the bed area, like the one in the kitchen.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
mikeoregon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 2:02pm
Hi, Ray and Connie-- Yes, our 2010 151 does have lights on the ceiling. I was thinking about lamps near the bed for reading and switching on/off without climbing out again. I may have to stick to reading books on the iPad at night, since the screen is lit. Vana is trying out an LED battery-operated light that slips onto the book.
Mike and Vana O'Brien
R-Pod RP 151 2010
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 5:42pm
We have a 152 and have that obnoxious light on the ceiling too.  We now use these LED booklights (2 brightness settings) for reading in bed or for some less "retina searing" light.     http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Bright-Green-Xtraflex-Light/dp/1933622741/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339450569&sr=8-1

G sleeps by the organizer so he just clips it on there, while I have a few of those stainless strips glued to the wall by the window and right above the rear window so I can use the additional magnetic base to attach the light to.  It's out of the way and if either of us fall asleep first, the other can just easily reach over and switch the light off.

We'll be getting 2 more of these lights for each bunk and of course the stainless strips for the bases to be attached to.  We also bring these lights outside if we need extra grill or dinner lighting.

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
Alex&Marie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 3:46am
Just a nit...stainless steel is not magnetic. It might look like stainless but ist isn't.
Alex and Marie
2012 R-pod 177
2006 Toyota Tundra
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 6:12am
Actually much stainless steel has enough iron in it to hold a magnet.  Some stainless will not.  The alloy that is the most "stainless" will not be attracted to a magnet.  For example the stainless steel used to make gun barrels is magnetic and most surgical tools are not.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Alex&Marie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 7:14am
right you are. I was letting my marine background sway my other comment. it is the nickel content that makes the iron-chrome alloy non magnetic. Frequently a hand magnet is used to indicate that a piece on stainless is not magnetic and therefore has the nickel content usually associated with good quality stainless.
Alex and Marie
2012 R-pod 177
2006 Toyota Tundra
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 7:36am
The lights looks like a great solution to the issue.
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 9:05am
Wink "those metal strips that teenagers use in their dorms that look like stainless" Tongue

I had also looked online at a few metal sheeting suppliers to cut magnetic "stainless" to fit on the wall behind the stove for a backsplash and for the wall area by the 2 bunks. The idea was to be able to use magnetic towel holders, baskets, hooks and spice containers to hold the kitchen stuff and also a few of those LED reading lights for extra task lighting/reading lighting.  I was going to spray the metal  sheeting in a cream car paint to blend in with the existing wallpaper.  The plus side to all this is that no holes have to be drilled into the wall of the pod...for those of us that are nervous....Embarrassed

Here's the link the the accessory stand with magnetic bottom for the reading light:

And here's the accessory wall plug if you don;t want to use batteries:

I'm usually not too thrilled to be spending any additional $ on accessories for stuff like this, but this is one really good light.  last year, during the Hurricane, we were able to light our kitchen with a few of the doubles stuck to the side of the fridge.  

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>