Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camping and travel safety
    Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Rabbit

Where do you generally stay if traveling long distances?  

For more information about RV camps and their safety, you can also read the reviews of camp sites you are considering at http://www.rvparkreviews.com/
The reviews will generally tell you if the RV park is in a bad neighborhood or if the place is rundown with a lot of questionable people around. That information has steered me away from an unsafe place more than once.
2011 R-Pod 182G Hood River Edition
"Ribbitt" Pod (now sold)
2000 Ford F150 5.4L V8 TV
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 3:11pm
Another good point in regards to the guy with a 44 magnum.  All should be aware that those around you may be armed.  In 2010 (I think) a law was passed that allows licensed gun owners to carry weapons in National Parks* ( make that a big "*")
Let's not go into the subject of wether or not an individual should carry a weapon.   IMHO we are all adults and have already made the decision in the matter.  There are strong opinions on both sides of this issue.  This forum is probably not the best place to discuss the subject.  However, my point in bringing up the subject is to remind you of the above and perhaps touch on some thoughts for those that do carry when out and about Podding.
For example, in the National Parks (above), a licensed owner may carry but, they are subject to the firearm laws of that State in which the Park resides (along with other restrictions).  Being uninformed, your efforts to keep yourself safe from the bad guys may land you in deep trouble with the good guys. If you do travel with a weapon, please take the time to do some legal research and know your responsibilities in each State that you may visit or pass thru.
While driver's licenses are accepted by all States, firearm licenses are not.  Some States "honor" licenses from other States, others do not.  You gotta do your homework.
Also, like driver's licenses, as with gun licenses, they don't usually require a person to pass an I.Q. test in order to get one.  In both cases, you'll encounter the very good, the very bad, and everything in between.  It may be something to keep in mind.    

Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 3:59pm
   While you are talking safety don't stop at the camping end but be safe as you are driving from home to your destination and back. Be aware in traffic and as you stop to gas up as to what is going on around you at the fuel pumps. It is generally safer from a personal stand point to fuel up out side of a big city than in an innercity nieghborhood that maybe less than desirerable to be in for any lenght of time.
    Make all your trips a safe one.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 10:43pm

An important thing to look into is towing safety - weight limits of each axle, the limit of the vehicle itself, the trailer, the total combination, the hitch system, the ball itself, and the tongue.  Safety chains, breakaway cable, max rated pressure in the tires (trailer and TV), check the fluids in the TV.

Then safety when backing - verbal and visual signals, rules (if I can't see my wife in my mirrors I stop moving until I do), a walk-through of the site before backing up.

Safety at alternative campsites on the road, like Wal-Marts, Cabela's, truck stops.  Stay with the crowd if there are already campers there when you arrive.  Stay in the lights.  If at all possible keep the tongue jack and stabilizers up and your keys on the counter so if you need to get out of Dodge quickly the driver can jump in the TV and go (leaving everyone else locked in the camper until you are in a safe area).  In an emergency you can still move with the jack and stabs down, just understand that they will be ruined.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
2Peas-n-Rpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 1:28am
Originally posted by David

Also, like driver's licenses, as with gun licenses, they don't usually require a person to pass an I.Q. test in order to get one. 

Unfortunately, that's all too true Confused
2011 R-Pod 182G Hood River Edition
"Ribbitt" Pod (now sold)
2000 Ford F150 5.4L V8 TV
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 6:12am
I like the idea of keys on the counter.  I always put my keys, wallet and maybe another thing or 2 in the same place every night, within arms reach,  so that I can get to them quickly - even without the lights on.  I don't need lights because I KNOW where they are.  It could be a criminal or the camper is on fire or the camp host pounding on the door to warn of an approaching tornado.  I want to be able to react quickly.  I may not have the benefit of time to fumble around looking for this stuff.

A simple first aid kit is a good thing to keep around.  I bought a ready made kit from Walmart and it is fairly well stocked with band-aids, antibiotic ointment, larger gauze patches and rolls of gauze, tweezers, etc.  A simple $5 plastic tool box stocked with this sort of stuff works great too.  Go as far as you want with it.  Things like eye wash, aspirin, benedryl, etc. may be in order for you.  Just try to anticipate common injuries (considering your level of competence in using them) aand stock to please yourself.  Depending on where you are camping, you could be a fair amount of distance/time to the nearest medical help, if you need it.
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 6:49am
We usually put things away in the pod when we are away from our campsite.  We know that unattended chairs have a habit of growing legs and walking off to other campsites so we have them in the back of our car, but we do leave the table as it's too much of a hassle to put up and take down each time.  So far hammock and laundry line have been fine as well.

G did have a pair of wet boardshorts taken off our laundry line (on our ground floor balcony) in a 5* resort once.  It was definitely one of the other tourists as the giftshop only had speedos in small sizes and all of the staff were really thin.  Luckily he had another pair.  As a result, we never hang all of our wet things outside and always bring a spare.  Sometimes what ruins a vacation is not so much loosing a watch or earrings, but a necessity such as swimwear.

T.

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 10:06am
Not sure if your "attack cats" can do that, Tim. Wink 
My attack cats would be the first to go up to them and lick them.  LOL
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 8:58pm
David, keith and dar, tpierce and others have posted some great advice, but David has posted some sage advice, as a Former Indiana State Police employee, 1975 to 1982, I believe in people and I know that 99.9 % of us are trying to enjoy our time on Gods great earth, the woods, the sound of birds calling, the water, the wind through the trees, all the things we persue podding around, the great friends and fireside chats, but, and I hate it there is one tenth of one percent that will take what you have and hurt and or destroy your family in 1 minute, In 1975 when I came on the ISP within 6 months I was appalled of mans inhumanity to man. I was so shocked as to what can happen in a few minutes, I have been to fatal car accidents, suicides, homicides, and domestic and alcohol induced brawls, I know what man is capable of, I hate it but I am prepared in home and on the road to defend myself, my loved ones and my friends. David has given some good advise, read it an d understand. I will do anything to help a friend, I also will do anything to stop someone from huring my friend. Anything.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 9:05pm
Oh P.S. the pods wall wont stop a .44 magnum, or a .22, get youself a good short pump shotgun. 12 gauge is better but a 20 does a good job. number 6 or 7.5 shot is good for close range, the 7.5 wont go through a normal house wall, probably will go through the pod, the long and short is as I tell Donna , "I would rather have it and never need it that to need it and not have it" and another thing old Sgt Guy Schroeder used to tell me "I would rather have 12 men try me than 6 men carry me" thats good advise from a retired Indiana State Police Sgt and a former 101 first airborne Trooper.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>