All good things mentioned already.  Thanks for sharing.  Smile
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 12:55pm
Let's ease up on the firearm discussion, we've reached that magical point where discussions quickly turn into shouting matches and hurt feelings.  This is one of those topics which usually devolve into chaos... guns, God, government.  I'm not immune, just on Friday I had a major disagreement with a good friend of mine who I usually get along with great, but let's say if we were in the Senate we would be sitting on either side of the center aisle, on the far sides of the chamber.  We don't usually discuss politics for this reason, but we broke the rule and as a result I felt bad all weekend.

I don't want anyone feeling bad.  Big smile
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 1:09pm
I thought of another topic related to camping safety - bears.  If you are camping in a "bear problem" area, or even just in an area within their habitat, you need to take special precautions.

Keep food inside approved containers for the area.  Some times inside the camper is enough, some times special steel containers will be provided that are bolted down and require steps to open them that are impossible for a bear to do.  Don't think that anything you do will eliminate the smell of the food and thus make you immune.  You can put it inside 3 ziplock bags and bury it in the middle of a vat of activated charcoal and they'll still smell it.  There are areas which require you to cook away from your camper (and when backpacking even cooking in a separate set of clothes which you must store with your food) to keep the smell away.  And certainly keep it out of sight - even just an empty wrapper or empty can on the floor of your car is all they need to invite themselves in to check it out.

If hiking in a bear area, make constant noise or carry something like a bell attached to your belt, especially in the spring after cubs and their mothers have emerged.  If you accidentally end up between a mother and her cubs you'll likely end up on the national news.  You can buy high-strength pepper spray as a last defense but I've read of accounts where it wasn't enough.  It is better to keep them away with noise, first.

If you haven't seen it yet, look up a video of a bear opening a car like a beer can, it happens often in Yosemite because of empty wrappers and cans.  That may help you remember to use the bear containers next time you camp.  Oh, and don't forget anything else that smells - deodorant, toothpaste, etc.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 1:16pm
I agree with Techntrek.  There are strong feelings about various sides of this issue.  Somebody's feelings will get hurt sooner or later.   There are plenty of gun forums out there, if one chooses to partake.  Let's keep Rpod Owners a Rpod and camping related forum.  Let's all choose to respect our individual choices on weapons, religeon, politics, etc. and return the conversation to Podding and camping.....and the topic of camping and travel safety. 
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 2:25pm
Sounds good guys.  I like talking pods.  Smile
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 5:04pm
Not a problem.....we just need to get back on to camp'in and Pod'in. 

Pets......
I can't take credit for these ideas - other members actually spoke of them:

1.  Speaking of first aid supplies, don't forget our furry friends.  I am completely unqualified to advise in the matter but, you may want to speak with your veterenary doctor, during your next trip for suggestions for any additional items that might be "pet specific".  Cut paw pads, sprains, burns, ticks, ingesting something bad, etc.  It might be a long way to the nearest 24hr vet clinic.

2.  I had a collar tag made at the local pet supply store which has simply "Dixie" and below it, my cell phone number (with area code).  God forbid we get separated, hopefully someone close might see this and give me a call...maybe a fellow camper or Park Ranger.  While she is micro chipped, this will only work if/when she would end up someplace that has a chip reader.  This could be days or never. Cry 
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 7:21pm
I dont want Donna and I to camp anywhere there are bears period. I have read and seen articles about so called experts, that tell you to make noise (good idea) you cannot reason with a mama bear with cubs, you cannot outrun them, you cant out climb them, I think I will chose not to be where there are bears and or unruly, loud, drunk, stupid people, thats why they put wheels on the pod, get up and go to a better area. I remember one time years ago we were tent camping and setting around the fire with some friends, my friend was setting across from me at the camp fire and this big skunk walked out of the darkness and went under his chair and started rubbing the leg of his chair, I told Jerry, get up real slow and walk away, there is a giant skunk under your chair. Sure there is he said, ha ha, then he looked down and saw the skunk. I swear he went straight up 6 ft and landed on the other side of the fire. and was running in the air. we still laugh about that one.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 8:22pm
I'm getting Road Runner visuals on that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>