FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCamping and travel safety

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camping and travel safety
    Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 5:36am
One area of discussion that probably should be visited from time to time is the topic of camping and travel safety.  Many of us are still in the grasp of "Old Man Winter" but, time is drawing near when we will be hitting the road in anticipation of enjoyment, relaxation and new adventures......we hope.  Camping and travel takes us out of our "normal" day to day activities (which most of us like and look forward to) but, in doing so, it places us in situations and conditions that (maybe?) we are not well prepared for and did not anticipate.

Heck, even being here on the forum is a bit of a gamble Star!!!   For instance; can you be sure, as you read this, that I am NOT, say, Techntrek, Huron Sailor, or Mountain Mist, etc???  Do you know for sure that I am not ALL of the above?  Hmmm...who do I want to be today??? Ying Yang

I hope you all realize that we (Admin & Moderators) DO NOT do any sort of background check on anyone who requests to be a member of the forum.  The forum can be accessed and read by anyone on the Internet.  I know that I, personally, have put info on this forum that could lead you right to my door step!
Was this a wise thing to do?  This, and we have not even hit the road yet!

Those of you who have been here for a while know that I am an ex-LEO (Law Enforcement Officer; aka. cop, heat, flatfoot, professional donut eater, etc. LOL).  There are others here who are either "ex" or current LEOs (I will not tell you who they are - THEY can tell you this if they wish.)  I mention this only to point out the the topic of safety is kind of near and dear to my heart.  I want you all to be SAFE and be LEGAL and PROPER in the measures you take to be safe.  A number of you too have a lot of good ideas and suggestions on the matter and I hope you'll join in.

A number of issues come to mind; camper security, campsite security, vehicle security, first aid supplies, personal security, what to do after (heaven forbid) an "incident", etc.  Also, dare I say it - firearms???  While we discourage weapons, religeous and political talk, there are probably a few words that shoud be said on the subject, as some of you have stated (or hinted) that you take your weapons with you camping.

So, the questions is - do you want to talk about this?

In the mean time, I going to sign off and sign back in as "Terry" and have an argument with myself about weight distributing hitches....enjoy!
Iteach5th View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 8:47am
Been camping 30 years, most of the time in a pop up. Absolutely no protection with those canvas walls. Now that I have my pod I do feel a little more secure. 
That said however, never really had any problems. Key... stay alert, be careful where you stay, mind your own beeswax, know where you are.

Even though I do feel more secure in the pod, I do find it harder to know what's going on around us when camped. In the pup we always knew what was around us.

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right"- Henry Ford

2011 RP-177
2009 Jeep Cherokee
1982 Coleman Redwood pup
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 9:01am
Very interesting premise.  We had camped years ago, all over the NW and Western Canada,  and on occasion thought about our personal and our childrens safety, only in the abstract.  Never had any incident occur that made "Safety" more of a concern other than locking the door on our trailer and chaining our generator to the hitch, while camping.  As we consider purchasing a 171 in April, I also am now more concerned for our personal safety.  As I learned in the security business, "times change, and people change."  We will be more aware of our surounding campers, and usually camp in supervised campgrounds.  I personally have never considered carrying a firearm as I never want to have to make a decision that I may regret for the rest of my life.  Maybe its like sticking my head in the sand, but I still want to believe that camping is mostly a family experience and that cooler heads will prevail.  I'm sure we'll experience some other campers who play loud music late in the night, or run their generator well past the curfew, if the campground has one.  But overall, I am hoping to return to camping and just have the pleasure of experiencing the great outdoors, and having more adventures, of the good types.  That's my two cents worth!  How about yours?
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 10:30am
I agree with Robert here.  We had camped in a tent for a few years and were super aware of what was around us.  However, nothing ever happened and we never had anything taken from us.  

My sense is that if someone wants something bad enough they're going to find a way to take it.  That being said, my sense also says that the majority of people are good people and that if we're always in constant fear of those few who may not be good people, we are going to be miserable.  
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
2Peas-n-Rpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 11:38am
Originally posted by tpierce220

My sense is that if someone wants something bad enough they're going to find a way to take it.  That being said, my sense also says that the majority of people are good people and that if we're always in constant fear of those few who may not be good people, we are going to be miserable.  

Great points there. ^ Having a dog in the Pod with us also keeps us alert to anything weird going on outside. Not sure if your "attack cats" can do that, Tim. Wink Also, my nice heavy Mag-Lite flashlight not only lights up the dark, but makes a great head whacker if needed. I agree with the other posters here that you do need to stay alert and be aware of what's going on around you, and avoid those possibly bad areas that may breed unsafe situations. Most people are good, but they have to earn my trust.
2011 R-Pod 182G Hood River Edition
"Ribbitt" Pod (now sold)
2000 Ford F150 5.4L V8 TV
Rabbit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 1:28pm
Where do you generally stay if traveling long distances?  
Iteach5th View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 1:38pm
I usually use Woodalls or Good Sam guide to select a place to stay as we are driving. Look at their ratings. Been pretty reliable. 
"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right"- Henry Ford

2011 RP-177
2009 Jeep Cherokee
1982 Coleman Redwood pup
Rabbit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 1:47pm
Thank you!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 1:54pm

All good comments. We seem to have a trusting bunch of folks here. I am picking up a good common theme…….be aware of what is going on around you (situational awareness). It is always better to avoid/prevent an incident than have to react to one in a crisis situation. That is kind of the intent of the topic…..let’s keep ourselves safe and out of trouble as much as we can.

Camping is a relatively safe activity. But, then again, so is life in general. It has been several weeks since I have had to defend myself in a knife fight at the local grocery check out lane, for instance. I generally can expect to return home in one piece when I leave for work each day. But, things do happen and bad people can sometimes be quite inconsiderate and even down right rude!

A couple of instances occurred during last year’s camping season that I will relate - to perhaps stir a bit more thought……

While camping at the Smoky’s last fall, I noticed a couple of approx. 17-18 year olds going from unattended campsite to unattended campsite helping themselves to anything left out, that they wanted. It was the middle of the afternoon and most folks were out hiking and/or enjoying the day and there were not a lot of people around. Apparently, they didn’t notice Dixie and I watching them from under a shade tree. They made their way to the (unattended) campsite across from me and one remained on the road (look-out) as the other entered the campsite. I rather loudly cleared my throat and the “look-out” shouted to the other “come on, let’s go!”. I’ll let you imagine the final disposition of the matter.

Another situation in which I was not involved, but got me thinking……..

Law Enforcement discovered a rather large crop of marijuana in one of the State Parks closest to where I live. Seems these “farmers” have figured out that if they use State and/or National lands, it boosts their profit, as they don’t have to pay for the land. While I’m sure they are very appreciative of us taxpayers reducing their “overhead costs”, I have to wonder what would happen to someone(s) who just happened to be hiking in the wrong place when these businessmen are tending to their enterprise - worth 6 or 7 figures. I wonder if they would just sort of let you go, if you sort of promised not to mention your discovery to anyone? Pot is the largest cash crop in the U.S. - in some States, by a very large margin. Public lands are favored spots.

http://www.drugscience.org/Archive/bcr2/cashcrops.html

Are you paying attention to the credit card swipes when you pump your gas?

Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 2:06pm
On another board it was discussed having firearms in campsites.  One fellow was telling about how he always has his 44 mag on him when camping because of fear of bears, and a news story a few years ago about someone being killed in a campground.  I hope never to be camped near him.  I have an image of him blasting away at noises in the night.  Pod hide won't stop a 44 mag.

Years ago we were camping in the Tetons and there were grizzles in the campground.  I was a little uneasy then.  Rangers were there and we were safe.  But I guess my fear is more from the animals than the humans.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>