R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSilverado Tow/Haul Mode

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silverado Tow/Haul Mode
    Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 2:14pm
I also use Goose's method. I monitor the transmission temp and leave tow/haul off unless the truck starts to shift in and out of overdrive. Here in MI I rarely need tow/haul unless I get a ways north, where it starts to get hilly.

The suggestion to try it both ways is a good one. The truck will let you know what it likes.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 2:29pm
Huron -What do you use to monitor your Transmission Temp?  I was thinking of getting an Edge Insight CTS - Color Touch Screen - Comprehensive Gauge Display for my Truck as that hooks right to the computer and can tell me all kinds of information.  I'm searching to see if on a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 has the Transmission temp on the computer before being.

HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by rpodcamper.com

What do you use to monitor your Transmission Temp?

It came factory equipped. 

I'm pretty sure others on this forum have experience with retrofitting monitors but I can't help much myself.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 8:50pm

Don't have one yet but plan on getting a Scan Gauge.

http://www.scangauge.com/

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 1:26pm
I also have a Silverado with Tow-Haul.  My dealer recommended using it for any tow over a ton.
It really makes a difference when hauling up a steep incline.  I have found that the downshifts, when descending, are also more controlled.  I have enough horsepower when climbing, but tow-haul seems to give a more 'jake-brake diesel-like' feel when coming down a steep continuous hill than when it is shut off.
TIDALWAVE
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 1:34pm
My 2011 Silverado has more than than enough electronic gaging: mpg, transmission temp, etc.
If your TV doesn't have monitoring built in, I recommend the ScanGauge II unit.  It will give mpg, engine temps, etc. plus it will give you the computer codes if the engine has trouble. 
May save you an expensive visit to your service garage.  I have it permanently installed in my Jeep Liberty.  Recently the check engine light came on...the SG II gave me the trouble codes.  The code sheet stated that the fuel system had lost vacuum...suggested I check and see if my gas cap was screwed on tight.  It wasn't...I hadn't tightened it completed at last fuel fill.  My Jeep dealer would have charged me the minimum one hour charge just to tighten the gas cap!
TIDALWAVE
pentachris View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 11:31pm
Thanks for everyone's input. I can't wait to pull Eloise with the new truck, and I think I'm going to go with the general consensus here and give it a go both ways (T/H Off and T/H On), and see which way is more comfortable. It seems to me that the few extra dollars at the pump is worth it if "T/H On" is more comfortable. And yes, TIDALWAVE, I also remember reading in the manual that using T/H mode increases the engine's affect on downhill braking.

As for the ScanGauge - I own a ScanGaugeII. I bought it and have it hooked up in my old Ford Ranger, mainly because it doesn't have a built-in tachometer. I like it okay, but it doesn't always function correctly - it sometimes goes blank as if it isn't connected. Seeing the interest in it here, I'd considered offering to sell it "as-is," but I think I'm going to keep it as a code reader.

Again, thanks for the opinions!
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 11:16pm
i emailed scanGauge and found out that it will not display trans temp on my truck.  bummer it would have been a bit cheaper than the other one i was looking at
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 12:12pm
Not to get too far off topic, but FYI I have never seen my tranny temp hit 200 while pulling the rPod. The max I've seen is around 185.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 6:43pm
Mine is a factory gage, and they know we are to stoopid to read degrees.  My gage needle is higher when towing, but never has come anywhere near the red zone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>