R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSilverado Tow/Haul Mode

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silverado Tow/Haul Mode
    Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 12:41pm
Cross-posting this on the two forums for maximum audience... We got a new tow vehicle for Eloise, and it's a little bit of overkill: '09 Silverado with engine, cooling options, et cetera to give me a rated towing capacity of 9600 lbs. So, I've got plenty of power to upgrade if I decide to trade in the pod in the future, and I should be able to pull her without even noticing she's there. Except, of course, for the fact that my rear view mirror will be blocked. ;)

Anyway, it does raise an interesting question. I've got a "Tow/Haul" mode on the new truck which is meant to be used when pulling a "large or heavy" load. As best I can tell, it raises the shift point RPMs, locks out 6th gear, and a few other things to optimize performance for heavy towing. The owner's manual says that it's best used when I'm at at least 75% of the combined GCWR, and that it won't hurt the engine to use it if it's not necessary, but it might not offer the best performance or fuel economy. The pod shouldn't put me at 75%, but, it does have a reasonably large frontal area which adds to the towing resistance in the form of drag. So...should I use the Tow/Haul mode? I was thinking on my next camping trip I'd try it "on" on the way there and "off" on the way back. But, I'm not even sure what I should be looking for in engine response to compare the two, or if it will be obvious when I actually do it.

Thoughts?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 1:25pm
I use the tow/haul mode just because of the wind resistance.  It does as you mention.  In addition, I believe it changes the way the alternator performs to allow for additional output for the additional electrical load of the trailer. 

I'm certainly no expert, so I try to error on the side of caution.  I would rather spend a few extra pennies at the pump than overtask the (expensive) drivetrain. That's my $02.
Rabbit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 4:03pm
I have a 04 Chey Avalanche and the dealer told me to use the tow/haul feature.  So did the RV dealer.
pentachris View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by David

...In addition, I believe it changes the way the alternator performs to allow for additional output for the additional electrical load of the trailer. 
I would rather spend a few extra pennies at the pump than overtask the (expensive) drivetrain. 

What I read in the manual was that it boosted the electrical system for charging an external (or auxiliary, I can't remember exactly which it said) battery. It further noted that if you were charging an external battery and weren't pulling enough load to warrant using tow/haul mode, turning on the lights would accomplish the same goal.

I'm inclined to agree with you - I think I'm just over-thinking it a little bit. I have a habit of doing that when I get a new "toy," and I've been driving the same truck for 10-1/2 years until now, so I'm pretty excited. :D

Thanks or both of your input.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 6:39pm
I don't have a Silverado, but my F150 has a similar feature.  I always use the tow/haul mode when the Pod is behind.  I really think it helps in a headwind, and when towing up steep hills (like the rockies).  And if things work like they did with my last F150 (1990 with a 300 6 and 5 speed stick shift) I gained gas mileage when towing in 4th gear instead of 5th when it was towing hard.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 7:32pm
I land on the other side of the current consensus.  A vehicle with that much capacity - and the statement that tow/haul is only needed above 75% of the combined rating - I wouldn't bother with such a light trailer.  The Pod does have a decent wind load but its still rather minor in the overall picture.  Maybe with real-world experience using it will feel more comfortable in some or all conditions, like Keith-N-Dar said.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
pentachris View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 10:27pm
techntrek - what do I look for? Excessive gear searching? "You know it when you experience it?" 
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 11:53pm
   D, just watch your tach. If your RPM's drop to low to were your trans kicks in and out of overdrive then its time for tow/haul. If you see ahead that there is a long steep grade coming up then put it in to tow/haul and at the top go back to overdrive for the down side unless it is a steep enough grade that you need to use lower gears going down.  I don't use the tow/haul on our jeep unless we are going up a steeper grade  for a long distance, it pulls the POD find in overdrive. We have the 5.7 Hemi that has plenty of power to pull the POD. 
   I have come to except the fact that fuel economy and pulling a trailer are not compatable, you do the little things that might help somewhat.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 8:23pm
I agree with Goose, if it starts hunting around on a grade you know it is time.  I doubt you'll need to worry much about downhills.  With the wind resistance at highway speeds, I haven't encountered a hill on the highway where I didn't slow down when I took my foot off the accelerator.  I have found some steep back roads where down shifting was absolutely necessary.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 12:57pm
I just got back from camping here in the flats of northern Florida.  Actually I went into the central section too.  My 2011 F-150 with the 302 V8 (5.0L) in "Tow" did really well.  It stayed in 6th. gear all the time.  But like I said it was flat.  Overall I got 13mpg towing down and back.

My suggestion is to try it both ways.  Tow for a few miles in normal "drive" then push in the tow button.  You will be able to make a good decision at that time.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>