R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCelebrating Rising Gas Prices!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Celebrating Rising Gas Prices!
    Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 2:29pm
Valentine's Day my wife and I started celebrating the rising gas prices. I bought her flowers, and she got me a new truck. Pretty fair trade, I'd say. Forty seven years of marriage and we're still camping. Although a little more comfortably than our original  set up--Honda 90 trailbike and pup tent.
We traded in our Toyota Tacoma for a 2012 Toyota Tundra. It's a double cab with an 8000 lb. tow capacity and a small v/8. The Tacoma towed our RP 175 nicely, but I'm pretty sure this truck will smoke all of our local climbs. I've transfered the WDH, brake control, and ScanGauge to the Tundra. One nice thing is that Tundras come with sway control built in, so I shouldn't have to worry about sway bars anymore.

We're looking forward to clearing weather, so we can try the new combo out. According to my hand figuring and the ScanGauge we're getting a little worse in town mileage (16) and about the same highway mpg (20) as the Tacoma. Towing mpg will be interesting. Hope we don't do too good a job of supporting the oil industry.  
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 5:17pm
I got a card, you got a truck.  I want your wife!  Broken Heart
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 8:21pm
Go get em kickstart, Donna and I have 41 years pulling the plow, we got our RP-172 last fall, and with the gas prices we have discussed it and have decided to make as many trips but closer to home, we are lucky enough to have about 6 or 7 within 1 hour or less from home, one spot Hoosier National forest has 3500 acres and 4 lakes, I think if we put our thinking caps on we can find neat places close to home and keep the fuel burn down. anyway you can't keep a good American down, we will find a way, congrats on the new truck.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 12:57am
Yeah, I've been dreading gas prices.  I hope to god that it doesn't get as high as $5 per gallon.  Last year, I literally got only 9.5 miles to the gallon traveling to VA with my Pod and truck fully loaded with a full tank of water and all.  This year I plan on lightening the load on both ends and see if that helps the gas milage.  I'm also considering some shorter trips as well.  I'm going to keep it at two long trips and a bunch of smaller trips to save on the gas.  Of course, if the gas gets too crazy, I can always camp out in the backyard.  Clap  
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 12:03pm
We are not selling our 177 for fuel reasons. We are selling because of health reasons i would pay $5.00 a gallon to camp gladly if my health would permit us to camp as I have been camping for 60 years with my parents and my wife, family. Please if you can make ends meet go camping as it is time that you never will regret as it is the most quality time you can spend with your loved ones. You will have great memories as well leave great memories. Children and grandkids grow up over nite so enjoy them and take them camping. As David says hope to see you out there.
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 1:10pm
I'm watching Gas Pricing but have not stopped my planning yet.  I have confirmed a trip out to West Virgina in July that will be about 250 miles one way and then i will put on about 300 miles while we are there.  The other trip we are planning right now is Maine at 630 miles one way.  That trip is not totally on the books yet as something else may have come up.  I still plan to be out there relaxing in the parks as If i'm at home i'm working. 
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 4:36pm
We've been planning our trips for the year, and we're keeping to the northern half of Illinois.  We have found a lot of places where we can go and truly have an enjoyable weekend.  We were also fortunate that when we went to the Chicago RV show a couple of weeks ago that a few places had half price camping trips available, so we booked 3 of those to help keep the cost down.

Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by cane2

We are not selling our 177 for fuel reasons. We are selling because of health reasons i would pay $5.00 a gallon to camp gladly if my health would permit us to camp as I have been camping for 60 years with my parents and my wife, family. Please if you can make ends meet go camping as it is time that you never will regret as it is the most quality time you can spend with your loved ones. You will have great memories as well leave great memories. Children and grandkids grow up over nite so enjoy them and take them camping. As David says hope to see you out there.

Very good points.  I'm going to keep that in mind as I plan my trips.  You are right, the memories are priceless.  
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 7:51pm
Great advice Cane2, Father time and health issues may be able to slow us down and or stop us, but they Can't take away our memories, well except in the case of alzhimers, and what the heck I guess we wont even know it. Donna and I are going to keep running until father time catches up with us.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
 Post Reply Post Reply