R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery or no Battery?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery or no Battery?
    Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 11:28am
I started to think about some weight savings ideas for the camper.  Right now I have 2 batteries and 2 20lb propane tanks on the front.  If I was going to be camping at a campsite that had full hookups do I really need to carry all those items?  If I pull off both batteries and the propane would there be anything that would not work?

Hot Water I could heat by Electric, I think all the lights would work on the 120 Volts.  For heat If needed I could take a small cube heater.  Cooking we do not use the stove inside as we cook outdoors or use

I would need to place a small 12 Volt battery to hook up the break away brake in case of a problem

Thoughts ? Comments?
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 1:26pm
I could swear that I just read this question somewhere else.  For the little bit a weight you'd save, why bother?  You need a battery for the break away break anyway.  Just keep the regular battery there and you'll be set.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Pawpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 2:23pm
A small battery would probably die in a very few seconds. IMO enough to go from 60 mph to 56 mph, then momentiom takes effect.
Having a trailer break away is something I never want to go through again. I had a simple utility trailer get loose and at 30mph it went almost a block and a half before it was stopped by a tree. 300 lb trailer compared to a 3000 lb trailer, you do the math. Thankfully only the tree was damaged/ hurt.
If your wondering how this happened, just say always do your own hookup or check it if someone else does it right who's helping you. Found out after the person who hooked up the trailer had no ideal how to do it right, but said he did. My bad!
Ready to pod around!
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 5:42pm
If you've got 120v, your converter will supply power to all of your trailer's 12v items (lights, water pump, furnace, propane detector, your fridge's brain, a slide out, etc).

And, yes, you'll need something small to power the breakaway system - a riding mower battery would be fine.

Without a battery as a buffer, I don't know if your fridge will be able to reliably draw enough power from your vehicle en route.  Probably.. if you've got 8 gauge wire (or better) directly from your vehicle's battery to your bargman connector for aux power.

But, honestly, two batteries and two propane tanks will weigh about 180 pounds.  Net: 160 pounds drop by the time you add a small battery.   I doubt that you'd see any gasoline savings by dropping that weight.  It would certainly be no more than a 1% increase; $1.50 savings on $150 worth of gas for a round trip.  I just don't think its worth the effort...
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 6:49pm
I have two batteries in parallel and I'm glad for them as I can go twice as long in dry camp than I could have otherwise.  I can't imagine going without any battery back-up.  
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 7:26pm
the above was for IF I was camping with full hook ups.  For Dry Camping I have the two batteries plus I have a deep cycle installed in the truck and have a battery box in the bed of the Truck with a spare.  I do not have a generator to recharge but have not been out long enough to worry about that. 

Very true it would be very little savings and may not even be noticeable.
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 7:57pm
My only thought is that we sometimes go to spots like hoosier national that on the north face only have 4 electric sites, if you leave the stock one gas cylinder and a single battery you will have gas heat, gas hot water, lights, no t.v. or a/c or microwave but stove, lights for about 3 days. then maybe an electric site will open. Donna and I like the small 1500 watt electric heater if we have an electric site, its much quieter than the gas furnace and keeps the pod toasty warm. My guess is that by downsizing to the stock configuration you are trimming 91 lbs, you could save more than 200lbs by not filling the fresh water tank until you get to the camp sight. Just a thought. Anyway its all good in the Pod.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
 Post Reply Post Reply