Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNEWBIE Considering an r-pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEWBIE Considering an r-pod
    Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 2:06pm
I am considering getting an r-pod and currently am flipping back and forth between a 2012 177 and a 2012 182G, I really like having the full Queen Bed, but the TV location and the fact that it runs only on AC is setting me back on that model, has anyone done a mod to convert it to 12V?  The TV is also way to small to view from the dinette.  The 182G has the TV in the right place to view an is 12V but I am giving up that nice queen bed.  Any suggestions?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 6:56pm
Welcome to the group! Smile

To overcome the 120vac TV issue, you could buy a small inverter (as I have done) - just to run the TV.
Some also have USB ports to charge small electronics. 
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 7:15pm
What do you do more of,  sleep or watch tv?  In our case it is sleep.  I probably log in 2-3 hours of tv viewing/week, probably a bit less than the norm.  Also, we replaced our queen mattress with a higher quality one, the ones FR furnishes in their units are not that great IMHO.

Am quite certain there are many who can steer you in the right direction as far as the tv thing goes.  We special ordered ours last January 2011 w/o AC, w/o microwave oven, and w/o tv/entertainment center.  We normally dry camp and only are in the camper if it is snowing/raining hard outside, otherwise we are out and enjoying God's creation when we camp.  Also, we normally dry camp so those features didn't hold much sway on us. 

Either choice you are looking at are good campers. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
takeachance View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 8:48pm
We like to watch a good movie after a long day of hiking or biking or what ever it may be so the 12V tv is critical to us.  We are mostly dry campers as well, so 12V is a must.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 8:49pm
David:  The 177 does not have a 12V outlet by the TV so unfortunately we could use an inverter
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 2:34pm
Welcome.  Don't get hung up on 12 volt vs. 120 volt.  There are several solutions to fix that easy problem.  Go with the model that you like best.

As David suggested, you can install a small inverter (look for the Morningstar 300 at Wind Sun for a really good model).  It does not need to be near the TV, you can install it where the converter is and power that AC outlet from there.

Or, it is fairly trivial to tap into a 12 volt source somewhere else and run it to the location of the TV so you can run a 12 volt TV....or use the same 12 volt line to power an inverter right there at the TV. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 6:08pm
I don't think it would be a difficult modification to install something like what I have in the picture.  You will have 12vdc to power the antenna amplifier.  You could obtain a recepticle/amplifier switch, such as the bottom white, that would accept a cigarette lighter plug.  Or, just purchase a stand alone recepicle and mount it near the existing amplifier/12vdc...tapping into that power.

As shown, the TV is running off of commercial power.  When dry camping, I just plug the inverter into the cigarette plug, and then, plug the TV into the inverter.
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 9:44pm
Our solution for rainy day TV is to carry our laptop. We plug a movie in while we sit at the dinette of our 177 and then we have our laptop for emails home etc. We are sometimes gone for weeks at a time so it is great to have it. We also carry a small pair of cheap auxillary speakers as the laptop was not loud enough especially when the A/C is on.
B
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
2Peas-n-Rpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 12:34am
Consider also that you watch that TV from the garage area at the back of the 182G while kicking back a cold one after that long hike. Thumbs Up  You could either watch the TV in the back in good weather, OR watch it inside when the weather is cruddy, so you have an extra option with the 182G.

As far as the queen bed goes, we convert the dinette into a bed at night and have a mattress topper to put on it for better comfort. During the day (or traveling) we fold it up and store it on the top bunk and use it as a dinette. However, we do most of the cooking and eating in the back garage area.

I'm just saying that the garage area gives you options for extended outdoor living that you won't have with the non-garage models. Just my $.02 worth.
2011 R-Pod 182G Hood River Edition
"Ribbitt" Pod (now sold)
2000 Ford F150 5.4L V8 TV

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 1:24am
Thanks everyone for your feedback, we went to the dealer today and just sat in both, we are now leaning towards the 182, definitely love the garage!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>