Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbikes and mirrors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: bikes and mirrors
    Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 9:25am
I just purchased a 172 and will be towing it with a 2009 Honda Pilot and have several questions:
   1.  I want  to try using a dual hitch extension and put a bike rack between the Pilot and the RPod.
Has anyone tried that or had experience with that?
2.  Any suggestions for mirror extensions for the Pilot?
3.Leveling equipment:  wood or the plastic leggo type?

My previous experience has been with a fifth wheel and a small motor home, so this is a new adventure for me...lookin forward to it.
Bugsonthego.
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 9:46am
I can't answer #1, but you shouldn't have to worry about mirror extensions as the pod should not be wider than your Pilot.  I find that I can see fine with the Outlander, especially if I have my trusty spotter to double check out the passenger side window.  I did look at Camping World, and people seem to like this: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/dual-head-xlr-ratchet-clip-on-mirror/55144

As far as #3 goes, I use the Lego type of levelers.  They're portable enough as they come with their own bag and is stackable.  I try to be conscious of the amount of space that things take up, and wood blocks can take up more space.

Tim
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
Bugsonthego View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 9:53am
Thanks for the info.  Do you put anything under the levelers to keep them from sinking into the ground or is that not usually an issue?  I know if you camp in state forest campgrounds etc there may not be a good gravel base.
Bugsonthego
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 10:40am
We like those levelers too and have never had to put anything under them but sometimes they need to be rinsed off (lots!)
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 1:04pm
As for #1, you must be very careful with hitch extensions.  If you read the fine print they usually say that your max hitch weight will be cut in half by using the extension.  Most smaller tow vehicles have a normal hitch weight max of 350.  The lightest dry hitch weight of any pod is 225 pounds (171), which will be more when loaded and with battery, propane, etc.  So that would make the extension unusable with a pod for your Pilot.

The reason why is due to dynamic load and leverage.  A 300 pound hitch weight might go up to 600+ pounds going down the road as it bounces up and down (it will go below 300 pounds on the way up, more than 300 as it comes down).  Let's say your ball is 6 inches away from the hitch socket.  After applying the extension it is now 12 inches away.  Your static load at a stop light will be the same, still 300 pounds.  But now it can apply twice the leverage bouncing down the road so 600+ pounds becomes 1200+ pounds.  Your entire hitch assembly ends up on the road and you watch your pod pass you because the emergency break-away isn't triggered (unless you attach it directly to your vehicle and not the hitch assembly).  Confused 

Oops, forgot to add the weight of the bikes, extension and bike rack - they all get added to your hitch weight too.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 6:00pm
   Wecome Bugs. I use wood, had plenty around the garage and it was inexpensive. I also put a little  1 1/2 in. x 6 in. x 6 in. square piece under the levelers for a larger base, saves from cranking the levelers down as far.    Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 6:15pm
Welcome! Smile

I agree about the mirror extensions....you won't need them.

I use the plastic levelers (Lynx) and have been very happy with them.  Most all of my camping is in developed campgrounds and I have not had a problem with them sinking in.  I do use (about) a 16" scrap piece of treated 4X4 to put under the tongue jack and it has also worked well.

As mentioned, the plastic levelers are light, easy to store and easy to clean. 
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 10:32pm
#1) I echo techntrek's concern about dual hitches seriously impacting your tongue weight. Instead, have a look at a carrier that attaches to the tongue and stores the bikes above the propane tank.

#2) As everyone else has said, you won't need mirror extensions.

#3) I'm a big fan of legos. I've also got lego chocks and find they work really well.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Bugsonthego

I just purchased a 172 and will be towing it with a 2009 Honda Pilot and have several questions:
   1.  I want  to try using a dual hitch extension and put a bike rack between the Pilot and the RPod.
Has anyone tried that or had experience with that?
2.  Any suggestions for mirror extensions for the Pilot?
3.Leveling equipment:  wood or the plastic leggo type?

My previous experience has been with a fifth wheel and a small motor home, so this is a new adventure for me...lookin forward to it.
Bugsonthego.

1. Can't help you with "1".
2. Even though I really don't need them, I like them.  (a)Making a left had turn in a gas station keeps the tire in view when the standard mirror is "blind".   (b)When backing that little bit of mirror extension really helps. (c) "I" think I have a been view of vehicles coming up behind me.  (I just gotta be different). Wink I suggest you buy a set try them out, if you don't like or need them take them back.
3. I love my leggo blocks.  I use two and a cover for each stabilizer, less to crank even with a drill. However I bought one of those cones for the foot in front and it didn't make it though the first trip.Ouch Back to my 6x6x12 block of wood. 
Happy Camping
LeeStar
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
CinRan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 11:54am
I know what you are asking. We tried that with our new Hyundai Santa Fe and fold down. There was too much space between car and hitch. Now that we have just purchased an R pod, we are going to take the spare tire off the back, put it on top of the car, and put the bikes on the back of the pod using just a hitch bike rack.  We are going to check out our theory later this week!
Cindy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>