Topic ClosedFinally sold my old camper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally sold my old camper
    Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 8:18am
We bought our pod in August of 2010, and didn't push too hard to sell our popup last year.  Partially because we wanted to be absolutely sure of the switch.  Going from king beds and nearly 27 feet of room (plus slide-out) to a 171 with 17 feet and no slide-out is a big change.  We also really liked the popup.  Just not the setup time, back pain and noise/light at 6 am.  Our dealer made us an offer on it when we bought our pod, but at the time it was way below market value so I passed on it.

Turns out we should have unloaded it as quickly as possible because when the company that made Coleman campers went under it lost about 1/3 of its value overnight.  We had a few nibbles last spring but no offers.  I think people were still reluctant due to the economy.  I listed it again last week and showed it to a family within a day or two.  They called me the next day with an offer and last night it glided down my driveway for the last time.  A little sad, but mostly happy that it was finally off of our hands.

As it neared the end of our driveway my wife and I prepared to jump up and down for joy - we have a long driveway and there are trees so they wouldn't see us - and then it stopped.  And sat there.  I can only guess that she was calling her husband to let him know she was on her way.  And it sat there.  I worried for a moment she might be having buyer's remorse and would turn around and demand her money back.  But off she went, finally.  And we jumped for joy.  And I had a glass or two of wine.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 9:27am
Congrats on the sale!  I know only too well the feeling of moving from the popup to a pod (we had a 30 ft in the middle) but there are still days of missing the popup.  The thing I miss is the King bed that were open all around with the screens and the great breeze you got during the Summer.  Hated winter camping in it as it was very cold. 

Just this winter we picked up a Truck Camper that I put on the back of my 6foot bed and use for quick trips when it is just me.  that is really tight but works out ok.  Its better than just throwing a bed in under my topper.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 12:43pm
Congratualtions!

I still miss my old Coleman Taos.  I kept it for about a year and sold it for about what I paid for it (I bought it used).  I REALLY miss it at the gas pump! LOL

I haven't heard anything about Coleman Camping Trailers lately.  Last I heard, Thor (who makes Coleman Travel Trailers - like mine) wanted to buy the popup rights from Fleetwood, but Fleetwood would not sell.  Translate; not enough $$$ offered, probably.

I hated to seem them go.  Coleman popups were the best, by far.
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 2:32pm
We still miss our pop-up.  If it weren't for the setup, we'd still have it.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 2:47pm
Thanks, all.  I definitely miss the $ at the pump.  We regularly got 16 mpg pulling it with our current TV.  I don't have to repeat what we all get with our pods...

There is a new company that has put out some of the old Coleman floor plans, they bought the rights but not to the name.  I believe it is Somerset, by CNW.
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 7:27pm
Congratulations on the sale!
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 9:36pm
Excellent! Good to hear it, Doug.

Rpodcamper.com, this new truck camper, is it as tall as the pod? I was going to start a thread asking if folks with taller shells or truck campers noticed better mpg. Somebody had a conversion van as a TV and noted that the mileage wasn't reduced as badly as with a standard truck. Let us know how it goes with yours.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 12:45pm
Good thought, Walt.
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Podsible Dream

Excellent! Good to hear it, Doug.

Rpodcamper.com, this new truck camper, is it as tall as the pod? I was going to start a thread asking if folks with taller shells or truck campers noticed better mpg. Somebody had a conversion van as a TV and noted that the mileage wasn't reduced as badly as with a standard truck. Let us know how it goes with yours.

It has the bed over my cab and is about the same height the Rpod would be I have not towed with the truck camper on as I only use the camper when I'm going by myself.  It has sunk my MPG down to 11 with it on but for easy getting around Its worth it.  When pulling the pod I get 12 MPG on the norm.  I hope to do some playing this summer with my Kayaks on the roof of the Truck with just the Cap on and see if I can do anything like I did with my Trailblazer. 
 Post Reply Post Reply