FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHot water heater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot water heater
    Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 6:08pm
Hi,

After one outing, our new 177 FR pod went intI the shop for a month (long story) anyway, we have it out for the second time since buying it and are finally hooked up to water. Is there a trick to the hot water heater? We are hooked up to "city water" and rant he hot water through the faucet until all the air and sputtering quit and then turned on the water heater. It's been almost 2 hours and the water is still ice cold!

We would appreciate any ideas or suggestions as our dealership is not a good resource for us.

Thank you very kindly in advance!!
BlueAudi
2012 RP-177, 'Poddy Mouth'
'07 FJ Cruiser
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 6:16pm

Did you check the plumbing as it relates to the hot water heater bypass?  Are you sure that water has filled the HWH?  I hoping you confirmed water in the HWH prior to firing it.  When you turned it on, did you hear it ignite?

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
BlueAudi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 7:18pm
Didn't hear it ignite. During our walk-thru, the dealership said to run the "hot" faucet until it stopped sputtering and then flip the rocker switch on for the HWH. They said it had a direct spark igniter. But like everything else we were told, it's really simple and most things have not been so. I'm not sure where the bypass would be.

Thank you so much for trying to help us though. Sometimes it's just nice to know someone hears your frustrations.
'07 FJ Cruiser
Pawpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 8:23pm
The bypasses on the 177 is under the bed on the kitchen side, you might have to undo some screws.
And here is a link to a video that shows you where they are. Its about a third of the way through the video.

Video
Ready to pod around!
pentachris View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 8:29pm
Did you open up the valve on the propane tank? Do you get hot water if you turn on the switch for electric water heating (located bottom left behind the water heater access panel on the outside of the pod)?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 8:53pm
 Yes, you start by opening a hot water valve (usually the sink) and letting it run until the sputtering stops.  As others have mentioned I'm sure it is your bypass valves.  If you aren't sure which way all 3 should point - the ones on the hot and cold lines should have their handles parallel to the water lines, and the on the line that runs between them the handle should be perpendicular to the line.  When you winterize in the fall, it is exactly opposite for all 3.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 7:17am
I can relate to your dilemma, Blue Audi.  I did just as you did when we first tried our water heater.  Waited until the water quit sputtering and flipped on the heater switch.  AND then the news- I fried the  coil because the bypass WAS NOT open.  Anyway, to make the process easier I flipped up the mattress, (we have a 177)  took my scroll saw and cut an opening 4" x 10" so I can open those 3 valves easily instead of getting stuck underneath and trying to do it all by feel.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
BlueAudi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 11:06am
Thanks for all of the suggestions and ideas, folks! It got cold and dark yesterday so we just used the campground restrooms and showers. It's no different than if we were still tent camping. We think we found the access panel under the bed (in the storage compartment) but couldn't locate our multi-tool until late so we are jotting down all ideas and will try again today. Thanks again for all of your support and help! What a great bunch of folks you are!!
'07 FJ Cruiser
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 3:39pm
Most, if not all,  of the screw fasteners used in the Pod are 'square' head screws.  After unscrewing the pump-heater compartment cover, I replaced the square head screws with phillips head screws. I can always find a philips screw driver, but I seem to misplace my square head drivers.  Eventually I put a couple of hinges on the wall side of the compartment cover.  So now when I unscrew the cover I can swing it out of the way, while I am adjusting valves.
TIDALWAVE
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 4:09pm
Here is what I did.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>