Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReady to camp!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ready to camp!
    Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 11:04am
Very interesting, Podding' Dr D. You know, we've always held that one of the most important factors in a child's success in our education system is the home environment. The example posed by the parents, the expectation of success, and all those related components of a higher SES home, are contributors to the eventual higher achievement levels. We see it here in the local Trenton schools, where even the charter schools, composed of lower SES populations, have great difficulty in meeting state and national achievement goals. We often ask if that perhaps the money would be better spent providing each student with a 'parent' able to provide an example and some motivation to learn. Although I have been in some high SES homes where a book, magazine or newspaper was not to be found!
Enough soapbox....!
Enjoy your accomplishment
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 9:54am
My wife has seen the same thing with her students over and over - the "problem" is usually the parents and home environment.  Not only a lack of leading by example and general life education, but in most cases today an expectation that the schools are there to teach the kids everything.  Everything, in the mere 1170 hours they have them per year out of a total of 8760 hours (about 13%).

My kid doesn't know their colors?  That's your fault, you are their teacher.  It's not my job to review them at home.  He doesn't know how to blow his nose?  That's your fault.  He only knows how to steal other kid's toys instead of sharing?  Your fault.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 2:12pm
Just came online. dewinterized myself!

Congradulations on the wonderful news.  Now we need for you to write a book on your travel via Pod. Like publish or perish!Tongue
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
2Peas-n-Rpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by techntrek

My wife has seen the same thing with her students over and over - the "problem" is usually the parents and home environment.  Not only a lack of leading by example and general life education, but in most cases today an expectation that the schools are there to teach the kids everything.  Everything, in the mere 1170 hours they have them per year out of a total of 8760 hours (about 13%).

My kid doesn't know their colors?  That's your fault, you are their teacher.  It's not my job to review them at home.  He doesn't know how to blow his nose?  That's your fault.  He only knows how to steal other kid's toys instead of sharing?  Your fault.

AMEN, BROTHER, AMEN!!
2011 R-Pod 182G Hood River Edition
"Ribbitt" Pod (now sold)
2000 Ford F150 5.4L V8 TV
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 9:56pm
AHMEN techntrek, as a non teacher in my small business I have a lot ( I mean a lot ) of teachers and I hear the same story, little (fill in the blank johnny, susie) wont set still, has outbursts, homework lost. etc, I am preaching to the choir, God bless our great teachers, the system needs to eliminate bad teachers and bad politicians from the process. PERIOD.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 7:57am
I heard that recently near the Atlanta metro area there was cheating by the teachers to make the school/schools look good. The teachers were fired, but the principles, the ones who authorized the deed, kept their jobs. Just what I heard from someone with a child in the system there. The teachers are the guides for our hope for tomorrow and if this has become something to get away with, well, our standards have unravelled.  Nothing has changed about the responsibility of parents. We have them first and have to give some kind of example of behaviour before teachers even meet them. A good teacher, as well as a bad one (did we not have both of these) will be remembered all ones life. The good ones are , indeed, a blessing and to be treasured. Yea for all the good ones. What turned the ones above into "doctoring" the books?

Except for filling the water tank, I am ready to roll. BUT too many things have cropped up to be taken care of before Escape Pod can roll.Star
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 11:41am
Yes, that was a terrible scandal with Atlanta Public Schools!  The pressure of standardized testing is not an excuse for cheating, and I don't know how administrators weren't held accountable.  The way that that teachers were caught was through monitoring the number of "erasure" marks.  Statistically, the company that scores the tests knows how much the average student erases on that test.  And when the number of erasure marks was far above the norm,  that threw up red flags and an investigation was started.  Unfortunately, the whole scandal  unfairly affected the credibility of the rest of us who teach in Georgia.

I'm ready to camp, too, Mountain Mist - but I keep getting sidetracked, too.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 8:53pm
Let's quit complainin' and go campin' !   
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 8:58pm
I'm on my way on the 20th of the month. Before then there ARE those things to be done. And I do know how to say NO!Big smile
Time is wasting!!!
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 8:00am
Originally posted by mountain mist

Just came online. dewinterized myself!

Congradulations on the wonderful news.  Now we need for you to write a book on your travel via Pod. Like publish or perish!Tongue

Hah!  You're right!  LOL  Thanks!

Poddin' Dr. D.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>