R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPlug-in between trips???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plug-in between trips???
    Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Outbound

....I'd probably make sure that the fridge was off (unless you want to keep condiments ...)

How do I "turn off" the fridge? Is there an off state?  I change the mode to Gas or Electric and it flashes continually. I don't want to leave it on battery - no battery switch installed yet.
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 2:34pm
Push and HOLD the "Mode" button until all the lights go out. Don't forget to lay a washcloth or something over the top of the door so it doesn't sit there closed and off.. the odors that build up will make you unhappy if it's left closed and off for any extended period.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 3:02pm
The latch has a "hold open" position which most people don't know about.  Find the part of the latch mounted on the wall - it will pull forward a half-inch.  Now when the door is closed it will be held open for ventillation.  Useful between trips and over the winter.

I still recommend a washcloth or two laid on the bottom of the fridge to catch the frozen condensation as it melts.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by techntrek

The latch has a "hold open" position which most people don't know about.  Find the part of the latch mounted on the wall - it will pull forward a half-inch.  Now when the door is closed it will be held open for ventillation.  Useful between trips and over the winter.

I still recommend a washcloth or two laid on the bottom of the fridge to catch the frozen condensation as it melts.

Dang if there isn't! And I bought a new washcloth last winter when I realized mine was going to have to spend the winter in the camper..

PFFfffftt.. There's $0.75 I won't get back.. (lost the reciept...)

Tongue
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 8:43pm
We keep ours plugged in when in the drive. Frig off. Hw off. But usually with the fa n running and a window or two open, if above freezing. That's been almost continually this winter!!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
OHIOJJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 11:55am
Doesn't keeping it plugged in run up your electric bill?  I just planned on disconnecting the battery as I thought it would recharge when I tow?  I'm new so help please!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 2:08pm

If you aren't going to keep it plugged in between trips, you should make sure your battery is completely disconnected from the pod.  You can add a disconnect or fuse holder to do this (I added the fuse).  Then over the warm months you must plug the pod into the house - and reconnect the battery - and leave it to charge overnight once a month.  Lead acid batteries have a natural internal discharge.  Over the winter months if it gets cold enough where you live, leave the battery on the pod and you'll only have to charge it every 2-3 months.  The internal discharge slows down when the battery is cold.

Even if its been less than a month since the last charge, if you are going on a trip you should plug in overnight the day before to make sure you have a full charge, then do it again when you get home.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 4:17pm
And, we do pre-cool the fridge on our home plug for a day before we go.. or if we are conducting water freezing experiments with moosepod...

If all that is running is the converter and a fan, the cost will be, like I don't know.. a dollar a month? To KNOW your battery is charged and maintained.. worth it to me.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 4:53pm
I agree with the above.  I leave mine plugged in all of the time during camping season.  The WFCO converter has a 3 stage charger built in and it will maintain a float charge on your battery(s).  The cost is insignificant.  I, too, like to cool down the fridge a day or two before leaving.

Another thing to consider.....if you run your fridge on 12vdc while towing, there may not be enough "juice" to charge your battery while running down the road.  The fridge draws a lot on dc and unless your 12v wire back to the Bargman is larger than most I've seen, you may actually discharge the Pod battery a bit, enroute.
OHIOJJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 8:38pm
I think I'll keep it plugged in.  Thanks all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>