Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsolar charging e-bikes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: solar charging e-bikes
    Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 7:28pm
Hi Everyone,  Thinking of buying a electric pedal assist mountain bike. It has a 500 watt rear hub motor that is powered by a 36 volt 12 ah lifepo4/ li-ion battery. Is it possible to re-charge the battery with a solar panel system. I own a 80 watt portable  solar charger (two 40 watt panels) used to charge 12 volt rv batteries while boondocking. Have anyone tried this and how?  Thanks, AJ
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 7:53am
It is possible, although that battery chemistry can be tricky to charge safely.  I recommend you head over to the Wind Sun solar forum and post your question there.  Lots of full-time off-gridders there which can point you in the right direction.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 9:41am
Warning about e-bike batteries!  I own an e-bike which uses a 36V10aH Lithium-Polymer battery.
When I bought the bike I was told that the battery could be charged 800-1000 times. What they don't tell you is that if you if let the "automatic" battery charger stay on for any time longer than a full charge...the charger will click on and off.  This off-on action acts as if it were one of the charge times. You must use a charger specifically made for lithium batteries, quite a few cases of fire/explosions when using a non-lithium charger.
I did not allow the battery to go below 20% charge (I carefully followed the charger instructions).  Max battery power dropped to 80% after the first summer, 50% the second summer, and now won't charge higher than 20% at the beginning of the third riding season.
Battery replacement will cost $350!
I contacted the retailer and was told the 800-1000 charge times (as advertised for most e-bikes) is the "maximum' to be expected...not average.
If you don't believe me about lithium bike batteries, browse a couple of e-bike forums...you will find a lot of disappointed/angry pedal-assist e-bike owners.
TIDALWAVE
ajzuma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 2:45pm
ajzuma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 4:17pm
Hi again,  I'll wait for battery technology  to improve.  Can still pedal a regular bike though I'm slowing down. Might just convert a regular bike to a e-bike when its time. Would it make sense and be safe connect a e-bike battery charger to a inverter that's connected to a agm  battery that's connected to a solar panel? Trying to avoid using a gas generator. I have a 400 watt inverter. Thanks for the heads-up guys. AJ     
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 8:51am
As long as the solar panel/battery/inverter system produces 110VAC you should be ok.  You need to be certain that the inverter will shut off power completely if it cannot produce adequate AC voltage/current.  Less voltage might burnout the e-charger. My e-charger takes about 2 hours to do a complete charge using household current.
TIDALWAVE
 Post Reply Post Reply