Topic ClosedCamper-based emergency supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camper-based emergency supply
    Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 1:58pm

Its a good idea to have emergency supplies (food and basic necessities) stocked up at home.  Maybe not in the 1 or 2 year amounts shown in the TV show "Doomsday Preppers", but a month would be a good start to hedge against the more likely problems.  I started thinking about doing the same on a smaller scale in our home away from home.  It could be more critical than a stash at home because at home you'll also have your everyday food supply and possibly a nearby stream or pond for water.

These things could be stuffed into the crevices and voids you wouldn't normally use so they won't interfere with your normal packing routine.  Areas behind drawers, under the bathroom, and around utility items like the water pump and converter.  Keep in mind that some things like the converter need air space around them.  The goal is short-term basic survival but limited space to store supplies.  I did not include things like a first aid kit or personal hygene since they should already be packed for camping trips.

1 Large bag of rice
1 Large bag of dried beans
1 Large bag of dried fruits
5 Cans of vegetables, something other than grains or legumes which are covered by the rice/beans
1 Small bottle of cooking oil
1 Small salt shaker
1 Jar of honey
1 Bottle of Tums, the pure calcium version
2 Rolls of toilet paper
1 Case of bottled water

The bags of rice and beans are supermarket size, not Costco size; they give you a complete protein when combined - no need for canned or dried meat.  They should be stored in mice-proof containers.  It also gives you carbs for energy.  The fruit and vegetables takes care of vitamins and minerals, the cooking oil takes care of fats.  If you are under physical activity - like cleaning up debris - you need additional sodium.  Honey is for additional calories for physical activity, it stores forever, and is a good antibacterial wound dressing.  Water is far more critical than food so 2 cases may be more appropriate if you can find the room to stash it - but don't forget that a RV water heater has an additional 6 gallons even after the fresh water tank is dry, or the equivalent of 2 cases of water.  Make sure you remove any stashed water when you winterize.

I'm looking for input/advice/critiques, so fire away.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 3:51pm
Interesting idea. I might increase the cooking oil a bit and add a package of multi-vitamins, perhaps some oatmeal too. Add some bleach for emergency water cleaning. We usually carry a couple of cans of tuna or salmon  in my emergency 'can't get to the store before closing' supplies as well as a small package of dried milk and a can of ready-to-serve vegetable soup. Ready-to-serve is in case the water supplies are low. Those things are always replaced if we use them then used up at the end of the season.
You need to remember to use and replace these items at the end of the season as even dried and canned  items can become spoiled over time. 
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 4:26am
I've been thinking of something sort of similar......

Considering doing the opposite of what most do - storing the camper during the winter.  I've been thinking of storing the camper away from home DURING the camping/warm season, for a couple of reasons:

1.  Having the camper in the drive most all of the time, and then, gone for a few days, is a good sign to would be burglers that nobody is home.  These guys aren't dumb - they watch for such things.

2.  In the event of a natural disaster like a tornado, flood, etc. the odds are better that one of the two would survive - if separated.  If a tornado where to destroy my house, if the camper is here, it's going to be destroyed too. 

The down side is that it would complicate trip prep and battery maintenance.  Ying Yang 
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 10:34am
Regarding disasters, you have to consider what type of disaster is most likely in your neighbourhood. Many of the people of the town of Slave Lake evacuated with their motorhomes and trailers when their homes were burnt by a forest fire. In hurricane evacuation areas this might be a factor as well. In cases like these it would be better to have your pod handy.
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 7:36pm
My dad put a 45 day supply for him and mom under the bed in their class C.. All Mountain House #10 cans.. I forget how many cans total, but you ain't going to store anything else under there.. lol.

As far as advice.. well..

First I don't see what is wrong with having 2 years worth at home.. But I will let the innuendo slide... lol

For the beans and rice, go to Lowes or H.D. and get fresh, new, empty, lined, paint cans. Put the items in those, with and O2 absorber, pound on lid.. good for decades.

Go ahead and add some canned meats, they last indefinitely if the can is not compromised, an while rice and beans can be a complete protein, the whole point of prepparing is to avoid HAVING to do something like only eat rice and beans. Or cardboard.

Also.. if you are actually watching that show (and I freely admit I am not), near as I can tell from the watercoooler is that you should at least try living off that plan for a weekend or week, to get a good feel for how far things go.
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 9:44pm
Techntrek, David and others, some great common sense tips here. about 6 months ago I purchased a container of Wise freeze dried foods, I think shelf life is 20 years, 3 meals a day for 2 for 30 days, $120. it comes in an air tight container, also have a osmosis water purifier that will do about 1 gallon an hour, good for 500 gallons (drinking only please) I am not an alarmist or a nut job, but about 5 years ago we were stuck at home, no electric for 3 days, our dead end road was blocked by a 24 inch black oak and even with 4wd could not get around the mess. Donna had made a big pot of Chili before the juice went off. I had the down stairs fireplace a going, had the coleman camp stove, it was 27 degrees so the stuff in the freezer went out on the back deck in coolers with weight on top to keep the coyotes and coons out of it. People you need a plan, I now have a 5500 watt gen set, 2 18000 btu kerosene heaters that burn super clean, a carbon monoxide detector so we dont wake up dead, and a good attitude with great neighbors. you need short term food and water and good flashlights, weather/alert radio. the Pod is a great place to stay when the power is off (short term) the Wise freeze dried foods are basically beans, rice, chicken/teriyaki flavored rice, dried cereals, no meat, you can live off of it and loose a few pounds but you will survive short term. think, prepare, be safe.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 7:53am
dsmiths, before you count on the WISE foods product for anything important, check the calorie count on their serving sizes. That particular company has a pretty good reputation for coming up with "30 day" supplies that provide 600 or so calories a day.

That said, the word is that their products taste good. Also, buying pre packed deydrated and freeze dried is the MOST expensive way to store calories out there. OK, if doing a 72 hour kit or something.. but unless you are just really not into applying any thought or research, no reason to pay a 200-500% premium per calorie.

For pure emergency action, DATREX or Mainstay type bars are pretty good, price per calorie, designed to store long term on boats, so RV should be no problem for them.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 8:13pm
When I decided to put together a 6 month supply at home my first reaction was to look into MREs or freeze-dried foods.  I started checking into forums and blogs on the topic and (like the show, which I started watching recently) their suggestion is to stick with food that you'll use on a regular basis.  Partly because its much cheaper, partly because you'll keep it fresh.  But it wouldn't hurt to look into the survival bars for the camper because the meet the goals of short-term and compact.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 10:09pm
Furpod, good tip, I will check them out, what we have is a short term, dog gone it I cant get to the store, but short term we have something. I pray to God we never have to do it long term. I like the idea of hi calorie bars that keep well its light no refrig needed and you could grab and go in the event of something bad happening. I think I may be making an investment into this area. I like .22 cal head shot squirrel but Donna does not, but if she gets hungry enough ? My grandmother used to make fried squirrel and gravy when us boys would get a few. A Country Boy Can Survive.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 10:48am
Dane, that brings back some memories.  My dad, granddad, and uncles would go hunting every year on thanksgiving afternoon, and of course, other times as well.  I've had fried squirrel and gravy many times.  (Not sure I could eat it now unless it really WAS an emergency!)  You're right though - those country boys (from the southern Appalachians) sure could survive.  That's one way they came through the depression.  Even my grandmother could skin a squirrel.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>