Topic ClosedCamper-based emergency supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dsmiths View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camper-based emergency supply
    Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 9:15pm
Wow , may change the name to Survival Pod, I think if you are smart, you should have a plan in case of an Emergency due to Weather etc. In the Midwest we have nasty tornados that may level your house but, 50 feet away everything is ok. My brother who is well read tells me that any Dinty Moore canned product has a shelf life of 20 plus years, when I was a young bachalor I lived on the beef stew, it was pretty good, I am thinking of stocking up, not sure which direction this country is heading, its not the "andy of mayberry" That I grew up in. I dont like somethings I am hearing in the media. Keep safe people, take care of your family first. God Bless us all.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 9:57am
Can someone bring squirrel stew to one of the Roundup potlucks? Wink

To answer the OP's question, we have 'pod kitchen kits in 2 plastic mouse proof shoe boxes that do double duty as emergency kits.

The contents are:
4-oz bottle of cooking oil
4-oz bottle of olive oil
spices,
sugar
pepper
salt
flour
cornstarch
cocoa powder
hot chocolate mix
Starbucks via
a tin of assorted teas
a tin of tuna in oil
a tin of spam
a small tin of condensed milk
one or two tins of soup
a box of pasta
a few packets of oatmeal
a few packets of ramen
cup noodles
2 x 2.5 gallons of Poland Springs water (the one with the spigot)

We also have a third plastic shoebox in the house, ready to go, that has chocolates, individual boxes of parmalat milk, some jerky, nuts, granola bars and other snacks that would prefer a more temperature controlled environment.

So for podding trips, we just add the fresh food and frozen water bottles.

Pod-based non-food emergency items would be a headlamp, 4 x space blankets, basic first aid kit, waterproof matches and a large Pure Beeswax emergency candle in a convertible tin. 
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 4:33pm
We were out of power for 5-days when hurricane Irene brought trees down all over CT.  They only restored power to the main roads and then took their time getting to us.  Our r.pod was parked 20mins from our house but we couldn't get to it until day 3 and couldn't tow it down to the house until the end of day 4.  

Luckily we had plenty of advanced warning and I was able to pickle, jar and cure meats and vegetables out of all the frozen meats in the fridge and then cool and put them back in the fridge to keep it full and cool when the power went out.  I managed to save (and eat safely) all the food we had, but our neighbours that didn't have generators lost hundreds if not thousands of dollars in food from their fridges and freezers.  

For short term, we have enough propane and charcoal to boil water on our grill and to cook anything we catch, and a steripen and iodine tablets from our wilderness camping days.  We also have enough tea lights to provide decent lighting for fumbling around the house.

If we were in a similar position in the winter, we would have probably driven up and stayed in the r.pod for warmth. 

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 9:00pm
Biscuit mix too!
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 10:58am
Sounds like I should add "gravy mix" to the list of supplies.  Wink
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 9:38pm
Squirrel and gravy over some fresh hot biscuits...
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 7:44am
I cast a mean glare at the squirrels in the woods around my home daily becasue they eat all my bird seed most the time.

I can't wait for the chance to take the .22 out and about and start having squirrel and gravy for breakfast every morning like I did growing up as a kid.

Need to work on my foraging skills a bit though, I could find a Morrel in the woods but not much else.
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 9:32pm
Diane, those were the good old days, My Brother and I would go to Indian creek south of Corydon Indiana and fish my grandfathers 116 acre farm, thats where we grew up, my Grandmother, Lenora loved fresh caught fish, if she found out us boys caught and released fish, she would scold us. She loved fresh caught frog legs, she was born in 1891, weighted 85 lbs and could cook so good it would make you cry. I miss those days, when we get to pod and get out in the fresh air, fish and walk it takes me back. I miss those days.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
lift kit
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 10:48am
Dane, that brings back some memories.  My dad, granddad, and uncles would go hunting every year on thanksgiving afternoon, and of course, other times as well.  I've had fried squirrel and gravy many times.  (Not sure I could eat it now unless it really WAS an emergency!)  You're right though - those country boys (from the southern Appalachians) sure could survive.  That's one way they came through the depression.  Even my grandmother could skin a squirrel.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 10:09pm
Furpod, good tip, I will check them out, what we have is a short term, dog gone it I cant get to the store, but short term we have something. I pray to God we never have to do it long term. I like the idea of hi calorie bars that keep well its light no refrig needed and you could grab and go in the event of something bad happening. I think I may be making an investment into this area. I like .22 cal head shot squirrel but Donna does not, but if she gets hungry enough ? My grandmother used to make fried squirrel and gravy when us boys would get a few. A Country Boy Can Survive.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
lift kit
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>