R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeed help with DC outlet.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with DC outlet.
    Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 1:13pm
You can also run 12V wires from the circuit breaker box...just make sure you are tapping into 12VDC and NOT the 120VAC!  I used one of the unused fuse feeds..with a new fuse. I didn't want to tap into any of the existing circuits, but tapping into one may be less work for you.  Most auto-parts dealers (including big box stores such as Walmart) will usually have bulk 12V wire and sockets.
TIDALWAVE
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 7:38am
You buys a couple outlets. You decide where you can tap 12v. You drill a hole big enough for the socket to pass trough and then secure the socket with two screws. You use some wire taps and wire to run power from the existing wire to the leads on the sockets.

We added 2 to ours, took longer to open up the dinette and bed frame covers to get to the wires than anything else. I stole power from the propane detector circuit and the heater motor circuit.

You can get the 12v sockets at an RV or boat store. The taps and wire at Lowes Home Depot AutoZone wherever.
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 5:06am
Honestly guys, I'm no electrician, but I would really like to install one or two DC outlets in my pod, one to run or charge the ipod and one to charge and run the macbook pro.  I don't think either of these things would suck too much power from the battery bank.  I am just getting tired of running an extension cord from the Trailblazer plug to the pod.  Embarrassed

Like I said, I am no electrician.  I would like to get the dumbed down easy instructions so that I can do a good job with it so that it looks decent.  Thanks.  
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
 Post Reply Post Reply