R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Visit to Forest River plant in Oregon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Hairy Podders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Visit to Forest River plant in Oregon
    Posted: 16 May 2014 at 12:40pm
Very cool picture! You can tell the "G" models because the rear spoiler is body color & the 179's with the squared off back end.
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Cap-n-Cray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cap-n-Cray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 12:58pm
More photos.

The building in the background is the assembly building. The foreground is the storage area for the varies runs of trailers. The building across the street to the left is where the frame, walls, and component are assembled.

At the end of this month they will be producing Rpods again.

A trailer being loaded with Rpods...

Another view...

Welded aluminum frames. You can see a couple of Rpod frames.

Cary
2014 RP-177
Cap-n-Cray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cap-n-Cray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 1:25pm
For reference this is the floor thickness and materials.

The Rpod and Surveyor floors are made the same. I believe my guide said the floors were 2 1/2 inches thick.

They attach the floor first to the frame then flip the floor and frame to attach the axles and wheels,  tanks, and other things on the bottom.

Cary
2014 RP-177
jeffreydean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffreydean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 11:23pm
My 2015 R 179 (which I totally love) has a floor that is less than sturdy…..a bit spongey in places.  Now I see that it might be a 1/2" x 1/2" sandwich of  not the best foam?
johnmaci View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote johnmaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 10:52am
Originally posted by BigEyeDuck

I am suprised there is that much wood in the Pod especially the wood cross beams. the interior paneling I can see but aluminum cross beams would reduce a lot of weight.

I am also a bit surprised they use what appears to be a fiberglass batt insulation rather than Polystyrene as under the floor. I wonder what the R value of this material is? I gues the Owens Corning Pink is too expensive. The best I have seen is the stuff that is sprayed on and expands to fill all crevices. I used a couple of cans of the "great stuff" and filled openings under the carriage where wires and lines entered the body.

"In colder climates the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) recommends using a minimum of R-49 insulation. You can achieve an R-49 R-value by stacking R-19 on top of R-30. In warmer climates you can get away with R-38 insulation in the attic" Source: EnergyStar.gov
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 1:45pm
They don't use spray in, because in a trailer area that "moves" it will rub itself into dust. The front bend is such a place. So they can't use flat sheets, and they can't use spray in...

As far as r value.. LOL, your NEVER going to see R49 in a TT, that's like 19 inches of insulation.
Plantguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Plantguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 12:57pm
I just took my new 179 for a 3 week trip. Many small isues came to light. I meet another rpod owner and checkerd out his pod. The pop out had a boot wrapped around the metal frame where it rests against the body when opened. Mine does not. The 1/4 panel under the 3 storage doors in the pop out came apart. I took a closer look and the guy who stapled it to the frame never checked his gun 1 there were no staples in it. It just left the marks a staple gun leaves. The door under the burners fell off. I purchased new screws and reset the door. Many of the 1/4" panels that separate the heater area from the storage area were not thoroughly pinned. The wiring under the frig. can be seen between the frig and the pop out. And finally, it appears that the pop out does not completely open as the cushions all hang over the edge about an inch. Am I being picky here or is my 179 a lemon?
Ken, plantguy
Life is too important to be taken seriously!i
im20agn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote im20agn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 5:34pm
Who do we call to arrange a tour?
jeffreydean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffreydean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 8:51pm
this is not being picky.  I would be upset.  I live too far from my dealer to complain and I guess I would fix the stuff my self.  The rubber boot is disturbing.  I would have them send me the boot to install myself.

WillG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote WillG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 11:43am
Interesting... I was surprised to see the wooden spacers along the main curved roof panel as I was told it was all metal and had sprayed foam insulation not the fiberglass mats shown.... the aluminum sides I see - what do they insulate the sides with? I understand what someone mentioned about vibration on vertical surfaces and damage to spray foam but I'm not so sure that it will be worse than settling insulation...   I'm not expecting perfection - seems like owning the RP-179 will be a work in progress...regular maintenance etc. I imagine the vibration is much higher than I imagine.

No you aren't being picky...  If I was buying new I'd want it all done right the first time. I'm getting a used unit so I'm expecting some minor issues but this forum I'm sure will help along the way.
R-Podder by process of elimination
2014 RP179
2011 GMC CrewCab Short Bed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>