Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New tow vehicle - Chevy Suburban
    Posted: 16 May 2012 at 11:09am
Well, for better and worse it looks like I won't be getting quite as good mpg as you for daily driving.  So far most days I'm getting around 18 with mostly highway time and some slow traffic.  Once I fill the tank back up and can compare my actual total mpg I'll decide if it will be my daily driver or not...

I spent an hour last night searching all of the RPO codes (options), and discovered my "really good deal" was really a "hell of a deal".  They had priced it thinking it had a 3.08 rear, then they confirmed it had the 3.42 before I went to see it.  Still allowed me to talk them down $500 when their original price was way below everything else on the market to start with.  Now that I've run all the codes I see it also has the heavy-duty cooling/trailering option which bumps up the towing capacity another ~2000 pounds.  I can do 7900 pounds total with a combined weight of 14,000.  Not that I'll ever tow that much.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 4:57pm
If I really watch my right foot, I have got as good as nearly 23mpg during normal driving.  My commute consists of county roads and then stop and go city once I get into Indy ( no highway).  Any more, I just drive normal and get 20+.  Yep, I don't even notice the AFM unless I look at the dashboard. 

I didn't tow the Pod a lot with it but, when I did, I got the same mpg's as with the Coleman.  Your Prodigy controller is an easy DIY....if you haven't already tended to that.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 8:05am
Still have 15 months of the factory all-in warranty left on mine, so if anything is going to go wrong it better happen before then. 

I do like the Active Fuel Management system, I saw it shifting from V4 to V8 during the test drive.  Supposedly it reactivates in 20 ms so should be transparent to the driver.  I'll be testing that out over the next few weeks.  Lots of mpg variables to play with, like if there is much difference in leaving it in 2WD or Auto; it has a bug deflector so I may try it on and off; and playing with the AFM to see just how much difference I see tank-to-tank if I try to keep it in V4 mode as much as possible vs. driving normally.

I wanted a 2009 or newer because of the 6-speed tranny, specifically for towing.  That was one of the big downsides of my Sienna - it has a huge gap between 2nd and 3rd gear.  I would hit a slight incline and it would drop into 3rd, but 3rd was so close to 4th that it still couldn't keep up so it would soon drop to 2nd.  2nd was a lot lower to get into the power curve so the rpms would shoot up to a billion and torque steer would suddenly be a big problem (front wheel drive).  I will enjoy towing with rear-wheel drive and a well-balanced tranny.  I noticed it has an auto hill braking mode when in tow mode which will be nice, too.  Not that I needed brakes on hills much since the pod is such a nice air dam!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 3:47am
Excellent choice! Smile

Mine has the 3.42 rear end.  I could have gotten the 3.73 and gained an additional 1000lbs tow capacity but, milage would have been (in theory) not as good.  Also, I have the 4 speed transmission, vs. the 6 speed.  My "before coffee" brain doesn't remember the exact model number but, it is the new version of the 700R4  that has been around for years and seems to be very reliable. 

In 2009, all of the 5.3L had Active Fuel Management, which lets the vehicle run on 4 cyls when engine demand is light. 

I bought mine the day after Thanksgiving in 2009 and the only issue I have had so far is a traction control sensor went bad.  It was covered under warranty.

I hope you like it! 

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 6:53pm
Hodge, yes, Ive been considering my options for a while. Finally noticed how low rates have gotten and it was time to pull the trigger. 

David & Danette, don't give me any ideas .  Evil Smile

David, it has the 5.3. I think its rated about 320 hp, 335 torque, off the top of my head. I was told it has the 3.43 rear and not the 3.08, so theoretically a bit better for towing. Need to verify that at the chevy dealer with a vin check. 

dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 10:35pm
Good deal tech, I am with David, I pull with a 2008 Chevy Trailblazer, 4.2 6 with computer controlled variable cam timing gives 295 horse at 6000. get really good mileage back and forth to work, 17 to 19 usually, 20 or 21 open road, Pod Pulling 11.5 is the best so far, but what the heck, you should have a safe and stable tow vehicle. I told Donna the other night if I ever win the lottery (of which I play about 5 times a year) I am going to buy a brand new Pearl white Suburban.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 8:48pm
Go Doug Go!
Looking forward to hearing your reviews.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 6:49pm
Congratulations!  I didn't see the engine mentioned.  I have the 5.3L V8 and get 20-21 in daily driving (no highway).  Towing - worst low 9's, best 13, most of the time about 11mpg.  I've been really happy with my truck.

Horsepower - it's a good thing! Wink  Hills...headwinds....who cares! LOL
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 5:22pm
    This could be trouble. Now you could tow a larger camper perhaps a Gulfstream Visa.  David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 11:31am
Congratulations Tech!  I know you've been considering a different tow vehicle for a long time.  Sounds like you've got a good one there.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>