Topic ClosedNew tow vehicle - Chevy Suburban

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New tow vehicle - Chevy Suburban
    Posted: 18 May 2012 at 10:12pm
Ha!  You do have that option with that nice big open bed ...  give me a call when you are ready to sell the Coleman.  LOL
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 2:19pm
My new drop shank is on its way, to be delivered on Tuesday.  Hopefully I can make the switch before the weekend so I can finally do a test tow.

Of course now that I've got a new car payment, and parts on order, my well pump died on Friday which cost me $$$ to repair.  Pump and wiring fried, probably by lightning.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 4:35pm
It must be a Chevy curse!

I had planned to pay off my truck in 6 months, but.....
my well pump died
along with the water  heater
along with some other assorted goodies

Anyway 6 months turned into 12.  It was a %$##@% paying for it, but once done, I really began to like it.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 8:06pm
Are you able to keep yours in V4 mode much?  Most of the time I feel like I need to get out and push before it will go in and stay in the "economy" mode.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 6:57am
Originally posted by techntrek

Are you able to keep yours in V4 mode much?  Most of the time I feel like I need to get out and push before it will go in and stay in the "economy" mode.

On county roads, yes.  Otherwise, no.  The computer needs to see about a bazillion parameters before it will let it switch to V4.  GM seemed to set theses parameters a little more conservatively than I would (preferring power over economy).  Only with very light throttle pressure, will it switch.

I know there are aftermarket suppliers who sell programs to re-flash the computer to defeat this (always staying in V8).  I don't know if anyone is marketing something to allow the engine to go V4 more often.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:37am
Hmm, on back roads I have an even harder time unless I'm going downhill, because we have so many hills.  Is your area mostly flat?

I've been looking at various programming options, some posts I've read say that people have increased the throttle percentage from 6% to 10% without a problem (throttle at or below 6% is one of the parameters).  I'm also considering timing changes at lower throttle, maybe give up a little power for better mpg below 1/4 throttle but keep the power above that which is where I'll often be when I'm towing.  Although with about 14 months of full warranty still in effect I'm not sure I want to jeopardize that.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 5:44pm
I lose elevation driving into Indy and gain it back on the way home, but nothing "hilly".  I suspect the hills are a big issue but, maybe, to a lesser degree,  a difference in the 6 speed vs the 4 speed?   At 40-50, I hit 4th and the torque converter locks......barely have to touch the gas. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 8:51pm
I may have found my mpg problem - tire pressure.  Not in the way you may think, they were overfilled.  The dealership that sold it to me had 38 psi in each tire but the door plate said they should be 30.  They looked way too low after I let the air out but I gave it a test today to/from work.  My first reaction was that the mpgs would fall - softer tires, more rolling resistance.  So far after my first round trip even with the A/C blasting I'm somewhere above 19 which is better than anything I've gotten so far.
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 11:01pm
you may want to air them up when towing.  On the Dodge Ram Boards they talk alot about tire pressure and how that plays with MPG  look at your tires and see if they are the same as what stock was.  also are they LT or HD Tires?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 10:22pm

Good questions, I'll have to check.  They are brand new so I'll have to find out what stock was.

The curse continues, had an awful time tonight.  My downstairs central A/C died last year so we borrowed a window unit to use in our most-used room (the upstairs system is fine).  This spring I bought one to use in the same room.  Other priorities were higher than replacing the system, still.  Like a new tow vehicle.  This one had one of those enclosed systems that splashes the condensation water all over the coils to prevent dripping, but it got really noisy.  So I figured, I'll carefully drill a hole on the bottom to just let the dang water drain out.  Yeah, not so careful.  Nicked a coil, bye-bye brand new A/C.  I was about to have a meltdown so my wife took me to Home Depot to buy another.  Got it home, unboxed it.... a forklift got to the coil before I could, didn't notice the damaged box.  Right back to store to exchange it for another, this time alone.  

I had a very tall drink when I finally got to eat my dinner at 8:30.  Didn't get the latest unit in the window and won't until tomorrow.  Censored

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>