Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFinally!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally!!
    Posted: 11 May 2012 at 8:07am
Yesterday we picked up our brand spanking new 2013 171 HRE.  Took it immediately to a local tire dealer and had all three wheels balanced and SS air stems installed.  Got it home and starting loading our "stuff" into the trailer.  We are headed out this morning on its maiden voyage.  A 300 mile trip to Coos Bay Oregon, to have a looksee.  Hope any "gripes" are minor or hopefully non existent.  All our mods were installed on the trailer by the dealer and it got a nice bath, before it was handed over to us.  FR made some nice minor mods in comparison to some of the older versions.  Under the bed they have installed hinges on the top which makes it easier to lift.  Have purchased some lifters which will be installed when we return.  Also had dual lp bottles installed with auto cutover and larger size 27 Optima battery.  Hope it lives up to its reputation.  Took someones advice and purchased a longer sewer disposal tube under the main belly of the beast.  Now holds the 15' disposal tube with ends attached.  Anyway enough of this prattle.  Will be adding pics as they are taken.  Instead of a tv, I purchased an usb attachment to my laptop which allows us to hook up campground cable and view tv.  Will report on how that works.  I did have one question, however.  Shoud we use the "standard" Thetford formaldyhyde formula for the black water tank, or the newer "green" type.  I'm all for using the green type, however the head service tech at our delivering dealer was not impressed with the "green" types, as far as keeping odors down during some hot summer weather.  Would love to hear from others on that subject.  Anyway, "off to see the wizard".
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 8:25am
Sounds good! Pictures lots of pictures.

We got a packet of drop ins for the toilet with the camper, have not used all of them up yet. We will probably go with the "green" ones. I am not a hippy or anything, but I figure it's a poop holding tank, never going to be "sanitary", as long as the green ones keep the stuff from sticking bad, and keep the odor down we will run with them..
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 9:48am
I have some orange ones that we bought from Wally World.  I dunno if they are eco anything or what but they are cheap and the bag smells like oranges.  Win win!

Can't wait for some pics, that's quite the maiden voyage, good luck!!
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 10:22am
I put some of the goop in when we first got it, then tried without any.  When I dump the tank I flush it well, and so far have never had a problem with odor.  Even on a two week trip.  I spoke with a bunch of people in the area who camp and most don't use anything.  So far so good.  If odor becomes a problem I will try using the mouthwash again.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 11:22am
If the odor gets bad, you can always dump a gallon of bleach down the toilet.  We bought http://www.nature-zyme.net/consumer-products.html during our first weekend as we didn't have anything else, and it does seem to be working out well for us.
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 3:47pm
Congrats!  I can't wait to see the pictures.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 5:03pm
Congratulations!

I had always used the blue stuff util last year.  Some here on the forum spoke well of the more eco-friendly stuff so, I used it last year.  I don't think it does as good at controlling odor as long as the blue.  For 2-3 days, it's fine. 

If things start to get a little smelly, I just put in another dose......it doesn't cost that much.
rex View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 8:56pm
OFF TO A GOOD START LOOKING FORWARD FOR PICS. HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU rex pHp stuart fla
jrr
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 10:10am
Well its's early Sat. morning and here's the scoop.  Arrived yesterday about 3.  Easy tow down the I-5 and then cutover to the beach.  Was watching for any sway and other than changing lanes it towed just fine.  Did snuggle up to a couple of large tractor trailers and no problems.  I believe the weight of the tow vehicle to the weight of the Rpod is a big factor.  After settling in and starting to put our stuff away realized we have to be very judicious on putting stuff away.  Not a lot of storage space.  Thank goodness for Velcro, and the Command Hooks. The little ceramic heater that I purchased works just
Coos Bay is a fishing town and we are camped very near the docks.  Was told that lots of fresh fish and shell fish can be purchased for very reasonable prices.  Gonna have some cracked crab for dinner tonight.  So far the only "gripes" are a loose door under the sink, seems the wood screws were driven too far and have stripped out, and some mystery with the battery not charging while towing.  Will have to have that checked when we return.  I am debating on wether to replace the sink with a larger SS one.  Jury still out on that.  We need another 2 cubit feet of storage.  Oh well, we'll work it out.  By the way, we did replace the mattress with one of those 8" thick mattresses.  Slept like a baby.  Highly recommend it over the original mattress.  Was a little too tired to cook last night so my wife heated some soup in the microwave.  Works fine.  Anyway will try the shower soon.  Have to remember to keep my elbows together.  TTFN.  (Ta Ta for now)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 10:45am
P. S. Whoever suggested getting a three ring notebook and putting clear plastic sleeves in it, is a brilliant idea.  Took all of the brochures, instruction manuals and put one in each sleeve.  Easy to find in one place. 
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>