R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwater heater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: water heater
    Posted: 18 May 2012 at 7:28pm
Blissful, again!!  When using lp to heat water, do you turn on the switch to the left of the sink on front panel?  Or, is this "on" switch for electric/both.  I am very confused!!  The red a"reset" light does not come on.  Still trying to locate the "on" switch in the outside compartment....if I find it, do I leave it on all the time?  Grateful for any lessons here as the manual that comes with my pod is a JOKE!

Blissful

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 8:38pm
On our 177 you turn the switch "on" to heat your water with propane.  The red "reset" light only comes on IF you are out of propane and it's letting you know that it isn't lighting the flame to heat your water.  The "on" switch on the water heater itself is only if you are going to use land-line electricity to heat your water.  Since we normally camp where there is no electricity or go boon-docking I normally leave this switch in the "off" position.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 10:04pm

To add to what jato said, the red light may come on for a few seconds when you first turn it on.  It may also come back on even if you have propane if the flame gets blown out by the wind - but the system will relight it quickly.

You can use the electric and propane at the same time if you have electric hookups - it will reheat faster and then will maintain the temperature using the electric (its thermostat is set higher than the propane system).

When you open the metal cover outside, look in the lower left corner for a black switch.  You can leave it on all season, but make sure you turn it off before you drain the tank at the end of the season or the element will burn out immediately.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
blissful View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 10:37am
Thanks!  Most helpful.  Thank God you guys are out there to assist with Pod problems, etc.
Would love an instruction book compiled from all this info.

Thankful, Blissful
Alex&Marie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 2:37pm
Thanks Jato and techntrek, that was the best summary of how to handle the hot water heater that I have read. 

We are still getting used to the pod after 20 days of camping here in Virginia since we got the pod back in February. We really like it and have especially enjoyed hearing all the info available from the forum.
Alex and Marie
2012 R-pod 177
2006 Toyota Tundra
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 6:55pm
You are very kind and very welcome.  Just please remember to turn the 3 valves the "right" way before heating up the water or you will end up like I did, and have to replace your heating element!  That is the only issue I have had with our 177 and we have been happy owners since March of 2011.
God's pod
'11 model 177
blissful View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 8:19pm
What 3 valves are you talking about here?
I found the "on" switch for the water heater electric, but don't know about these 3 valves.  Please explain.

Blissful
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 9:19pm
Looking at the water heater from the inside, there are 3 valves right behind it.  These are used to bypass the water heater before winterizing.  In the spring, you must reverse all 3 valves to fill the tank again.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 9:50pm
The "fun" part is getting to the valves.  If you are small and a good contortionist and don't mind tight areas it is easy.  Just loosen the 4 screws to the right of the water heater - in the thru storage area in the back of the pod.  Then you reach your hand into nowhere and try your best to reach and turn the 3 valves.  OR  Lift up your mattress and cut an access hole so you can easily do this procedure and see with your eyes what you are doing.  I cut my access hole about 5 " wide by 6 " long and then cut a 1/4"thick piece of luan to cover the access hole and used 2 wood screws to hold it down
God's pod
'11 model 177
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 7:01am
I removed the mattress and removed the screws that hold down the plywood under the mattress and left them out.  To access the valves I lift the mattress and plywood.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>