Topic Closedr-pod & trailer newbies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: r-pod & trailer newbies
    Posted: 21 May 2012 at 11:55am
Retirement brought a desire to camp again; age demanded something other than sleeping on the ground.  We've selected an r-pod 171 to begin our travel trailer adventures.  Reading posts in this forum helped us make our decision, and we've decided to sign up here.  My first post is this introduction.
We towed the trailer a bit more than 200 miles to home without event.  We will spend our first night in it on Wednesday.  Preparations for that adventure have begun, and we are excited.
Theory vs Practice (first confessional): Over a two hour period the dealer carefully explained the use and maintenance of the trailer.  I listened carefully and took copious notes.  Our arrival home brought our first opportunity to practice set up.  With r-pod "leveled" and tires "chalked", I jacked it up from the truck ball at which point the trailer decided to twist.  It rolled off my wood block, drove the end of the jack into the ground, and drug it about 4 inches.  I was sure I had broken something.  My helpful neighbor, who has a large travel trailer, saw the fuss and came over to help.  He worked with me on the PRACTICE of leveling things up.  I'm happy to report the trailer is set up, nice and level, beside my driveway.  Nothing was damaged, except perhaps for my ego.  Big smile
This forum will be my resource to help me learn the lessons with a minimum of problems.
Mike, Linda & Doxies
2013 Hood River Edition r-pod 171
Tow Vehicles: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 (Linda's) and a 2003 Dodge Dakota (Mike's fishing truck)
Hawkeyes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 12:56pm
My nightmare!  Ugghh...  So glad yours had a happy ending.
Hawkpod
2013 Surveyor Sport 189
2017 Chevy Silverado
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 1:10pm
Congratulations.  In the same boat age wise.  Change the mattress immediately. 
We purchased a mattess from Camping World.  It's a real mattress with a pillowtop for $329. delivered.  You'll thank me for it later.  Might want to consider a longer sewer pipe and holder.  Dual LP tanks are nice also.  Enjoy and Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
elko.mike View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 1:45pm
Campers Bob, Sue, and Gracie the Wonder Dog,
     We have sumo-chic Miss Hildy (aka Hildigard) and the Hansel Man.  I assume the wonder dog travels with you, and wonder if you have suggestions for that.
     Thanks for mattress tip, which confirmed our thoughts.  The other two tips sound like a good one.
     Generator?
Mike, Linda & Doxies
Tow Vehicles: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 (Linda's) and a 2003 Dodge Dakota (Mike's fishing truck)
elko.mike View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 2:01pm
Hawkpod,
     So your nightmare involved the pod dropping from its blocks?  I felt fortunate that nothing was broken. 
     What happened with you?

Mike, Linda & Doxies
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 6:52pm
Welcome.  I would get some time in before you consider a generator.  Most weekend trips you won't need one.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 5:45pm
Welcome! Smile

I agree...you probably won't like the matress for long. 
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 7:00pm
Wecome. I agree that you may not need a Generator unless you plan on doing a lot of dry camping. I have one I use once a year when I go to a NASCAR race and camp at the track with no electric hook ups. 
elko.mike View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 7:46pm
Our principle intended use is camping at high-desert lakes, or other remote places, with limited service.  For example we plan to camp at Wilson Reservoir next week.  There is no power at any of the campsites.  Staying there with battery power only doesn't seem viable.  I'm looking at 1000W generators, quiet of course.  
The campground has a single manual water pump and we won't need to haul water.  However, the pod will have a purifier.   
Surprisingly this place has a dump station so we can unload before departure.  That's handy because the last 16 miles to and from the reservoir is a 2-rut dirt road and the less the trailer weighs the better it will be. 
Oh, the bass and trout fishing is pretty good at this place. 
Mike, Linda & Doxies
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 8:53pm
Mike, ya got to do some trout on the fire, I can almost smell them. I like small bass, smallies and large mouth, but the small ones are better tasting, 9 to 14 inches, oohhh, fire a going, cast iron skillet on the fire, fish, and all the side dishes. I can almost smell them a cooking. happy poddin.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>