R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNewbie's Unhitching Tip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie's Unhitching Tip
    Posted: 25 May 2012 at 1:02am
As a newbie to TT use, it seems worthwhile to document something, likely well known to the old hands, for other newbies.  On my first unhitch I had the trailer fall from the block, twist, and scoot the bottom of the jack along the ground.  I didn't break anything, but could have easily.
A tip to prevent that is to ensure that the trailer hitch lifts from the tow vehicle ball WITH NO FORCE.  If the jack forces the trailer hitch from the ball, then something unpleasant can happen. 
Based upon my admittedly limited experience (old hands jump in and help), the following is a process that I'm starting to use to prevent an unpleasant result while unhitching.
     1.  Look for a level spot and park there if possible.  Level means not only side-to-side for your pod, but also between the tow vehicle and the pod.  If the front end of the tow vehicle is aimed downhill and the front end of the pod is aimed uphill then that can cause problems. 
     2.  Once everything is level, including side-to-side for pod, put chocks on both sides of each wheel.  Better safe than sorry.
     3.  Put down the jack block and start lifting the trailer from the tow vehicle ball.  If anything is binding, jack the hitch down, and reposition tow vehicle slightly.  Use caution and common sense at this point.  Once the jack can lift the trailer from the tow vehicle ball without pressure, do so.
     4.  Pull vehicle forward, level trailer front-to-back with the jack, and then drop the stabilizers. 

ALWAYS put the stabilizers down in the back before people walk in the trailer.  I almost tipped my trailer over backwards yesterday when the wife and her friend went behind the rear axle when neither back stabilizer was down.  I read that tip somewhere, but forgot it.  To help me remember this tip I note it here. 
Mike, Linda & Doxies
2013 Hood River Edition r-pod 171
Tow Vehicles: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 (Linda's) and a 2003 Dodge Dakota (Mike's fishing truck)
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 8:11am
1st and last thing to do when un/hitching..

chocks. we even have a set that locks into the lego blocks.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 10:17am
Originally posted by furpod

Yup first on, last off!
elko.mike View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 11:03am

A "set that locks into the lego blocks" sounds interesting.  Can you say more?  What are these?  Who makes them?  How do they work?  Thanks in advance for the newbie training.

Mike, Linda & Doxies
Tow Vehicles: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 (Linda's) and a 2003 Dodge Dakota (Mike's fishing truck)
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 11:15am
Originally posted by elko.mike

A "set that locks into the lego blocks" sounds interesting.  Can you say more?  What are these?  Who makes them?  How do they work?  Thanks in advance for the newbie training.

The "lego blocks" are a generic term for any one of the brands of these..

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/rv-leveling-blocks-8-pack/43849

EDIT: here you go.. a link from CW that shows exactly what I am talking about..

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/lock-n-stop/43847

The brand we have, we picked up at an RV dealer, and they had an optional set of chocks, that lock into the lego style shape of the leveling blocks.

My father still uses 2x material to level his RV, but years ago he screwed chock/stops onto the boards he uses on the top layer..

EDIT also: I have NO affiliation with CW and am not a member.. I don't think. They were just the first google hit on my search.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 11:22am
BUT.. I have to admit.. after seeing the B.A.L. leveler that kymooses uses online, I am ptretty sure that along about day 2 of the eastern rally I will be in wi-fi mode ordering one for us, and I may get the matching chock system also.. just need to see them in person.. or.. er.. SHE needs to see them in person.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 11:45am

BUT.. I have to admit.. after seeing the B.A.L. leveler that kymooses uses online, I am ptretty sure that along about day 2 of the eastern rally I will be in wi-fi mode ordering one for us, and I may get the matching chock system also.. just need to see them in person.. or.. er.. SHE needs to see them in person.

Love that thing!  Not always fun on a very badly unlevel campsite though, it gets tiring jacking the pod up with that screw.  I rarely have to do more than one or two turns just so it's snug on the wheel though.

Crossing my fingers tonight's campsite is nice and level, it's gonna be hot around set-up time at camp!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 11:54am
Will a cordless drill run it? That is what I use on the stabs.. looked to be the same size "nut"..
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 2:53pm

Will a cordless drill run it? That is what I use on the stabs.. looked to be the same size "nut"..

Furpod you're awesome.  And apparently I'm clueless, cause yes it is the same size nut and we always take the cordless drill with us to do the stabilizers up and down. 

It would stand to reason I could just as easily move the BAL leveler up and down!

Thanks for clueing me in on something that should have been obvious!  Can't believe I hadn't thought of that!
LOLLOLLOL
elko.mike View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 3:16pm
Furpod and kymooses thanks for some great tips.  I will be adding some of these items to my pod kit.
Mike, Linda & Doxies
 Post Reply Post Reply