R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFurnace Won't Ignite

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Furnace Won't Ignite
    Posted: 28 May 2012 at 1:23pm

Originally posted by elko.mike

The idea of opening the valve slowly is interesting, as it seems some deliberate set of actions should result in the furnace lighting every time. 

Take at least a minute to open the tank's valve to prevent triggering the safety valve.  Then light the stove and you should be all set.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
elko.mike View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by HuronSailor

It's been my experience with our 172 that the fridge won't light on propane until you purge the air from the gas lines. I do this by lighting the galley burners. Once they take off, it means the lines are purged and the fridge should work. 

The problem, I believe, is that the lines need to be purged.  This sounds like a good way to do it.
Mike, Linda & Doxies
2013 Hood River Edition r-pod 171
Tow Vehicles: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 (Linda's) and a 2003 Dodge Dakota (Mike's fishing truck)
KayakkrazyUP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 9:52pm
Thanks. Lighting the stove burners did the trick. Much appreciated.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 8:48am
Originally posted by KayakkrazyUP

Thanks. Lighting the stove burners did the trick. Much appreciated.

We don't use ours for actual heat as a small electric heater is more than we've ever needed, but I test and keep the lines clean of debris a few times a season just to keep bugs and things out.

Each time I've always had to light my burner first to get our furnace to go.  So now it's just standard procedure for me!

Glad it worked for you as well.
elko.mike View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 1:02pm
My saga continues.  I turned the gas off last night.  This morning I turned the gas back on, lit a stove burner, and tried to lite the furnace.  The blower started, I heard it spark one or twice, and it didn't lite.  I waited a while for it to lite, but it stopped sparking and the blower ran on.  So I turned it off and waited for the blower to stop.  When it did, I turned the furnace on again.  I heard it spark a few times, but again it didn't lite.  After a few minutes I turned the furnace off and waited for the blower to stop.  On the 3rd try I didn't hear it spark and assume it has locked out.

My goodness, but this seems harder than it needs to be.  I called the dealer and he told me to lite a burner -- same tip that was provided here -- and then to lite the stove.  I told him I had done that and it didn't work.  I then asked for specifics about the process of purging the lines.  He told me to turn on the gas (I am), lite a stovetop burner (I do), wait for the flames to be nice and blue (I didn't), and then the furnace should lite. 

So I'm cycling everything now to test this new process.  I recycle by turning off the gas, lighting a stove burner until it goes out, pull the fuse for the furnace (my lame attempt to get it completely recycled), and then to go through the process to lite the furnace.

I think folks advising me to get a ceramic heater have it right, but it is my nature to run a problem to ground.  After all I'm an engineer and a problem to an engineer is like a fire hydrant to a dog.  Nuff said.
Mike, Linda & Doxies
Tow Vehicles: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 (Linda's) and a 2003 Dodge Dakota (Mike's fishing truck)
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 1:45pm
The other possibility is that when your new LP tank was filled it was not purged.  They are filled with air when shipped, and have to be purged when filled for the first time.  If you have a gas drum for a grill or something change it out with the one on the pod and try that.  If the known good tank works have the one from the pod purged and filled.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
elko.mike View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 2:05pm
I am pretty sure I have a resolution.  It was a purging problem in two parts: normal purge procedure unknown originally and once it was discovered an impatient operator wasn't performing it properly. 
Yet again I turned off the gas and lit the stove burner until it went out.  That should bleed most of the gas from the line.  After a couple of hours elapsed, I took the fuse from the furnace (as I've been doing all along) to set it to a known initial state.  Then I turned on the gas and went inside where I lit a burner on the stove.
It was at this point my process changed.  My old process was to flip the switch on the furnace as soon as the stove burner lit.  It was downhill from there. 
My new process, upon advice from the service tech, was to let the burner run until the flame was good and blue.   I estimated (should have measured it) that to be about 30 seconds.  When ALL of the yellow left the burner then I turned it off.  After burner flame was good and blue I tried the furnace and it lit right away.  Thanks to all for the encouragement and advice.  It's time for a good scotch.
Mystery solved!  An impatient operator was failing to FULLY purge the gas lines. 
Mike, Linda & Doxies
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12