R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChanging locks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing locks
    Posted: 28 May 2012 at 9:57pm
Sorry for your loss.  However, that does bring up an interesting question.  Since techntrek has noted that most campers are keyed the same, has anyone had their locks replaced yet?  How much and who did it? 
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
LagunaPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 11:25pm
The storage locks can be replaced easily with new ones from Home Depot, Lowes, or just about any hardware store.
2010 177
2008 Ranger Sport
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 12:18am
Thank you for your fast response.  I have absolutely no knowledge about changing locks.  Do you have a website suggestion I could go to or could you provide step by step instructions for a lock newbie.  I see this is your first post.  There are literally hundreds of years of camping experience from others posting here.  Do not hesitate to ask any question you have about probably any subject.  No doubt you will get a response.  Laguna ain't such a bad place to live.  Came from WLA to Oregon about 20 years ago after spending 38 years in L.A.  Only regret is that we didn't move here 25 years ago.  Did lots of trailer camping years ago all thru the coast of Calif.  In fact we have scheduled a return trip to the Big Sur area in July.  Haven't been there in 25 years.  Trees probably look the same though.  Gonna hit Nepenthe while there.  If you haven't ever been up Highway 1 to the Monterey/Carmel area, your missing a wonderful area to camp.  In any event, thanks again and Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 12:16pm
I've moved these posts from the "dome" thread in the for sale forum to this new thread, figured it warranted its own place.  Here is the thread that started this discussion:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2608
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 12:22pm
Thank you.  This is why you get the BIG money.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 12:48pm
I want a raise!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 12:52pm
Just did some further research and ended up at Amazon.  They have a combination lock that replaces the side access doors for about $12 each.  Have ordered two.  Now have to remove lock from front door and have it rekeyed.  Searched on Google and found out it really easy.  Even for a doofus like me.  Will respond with my results.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 1:01pm
Definitely interested in the results.  Putting combo locks on the access doors would be great.  Even if you couldn't change the lock on the man door you could keep spare keys for the door and your TV hidden inside the outside storage compartment.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 5:43pm
As mentioned I went to Amazon and ordered two combo locks for the side access doors, about $12. each.  In the mail.  Then I got my toolbox out, dusted it off and took out a phillips screwdriver.  Proceeded as if I knew what I was doing.  Opened the main door and unscrewed the 4 phillips screws from the lockplate and carefully placed them somewhere, so I wouldn't lose them.  Then to the edge of the door and unscrewed the two more phillips head screws that hold the lock plate in.  Carefully removed the entire lock and handle from the outside of the door.  The door itself will only probably keep out lowflying birds.  Pretty thin.  Now what?  First went to Home Depot to the key guy, and I was told they only rekey what they sell.  NO help at all.  Then went to my local locksmith(Mr. Easy Money) and showed him what I had.  He took a pick out in about 5 seconds had the lock in his hand.  (Why do I lock everything up?)  Anyway $35 later he had rekeyed the upper lock and made three keys.  The lower lock still uses the accessory key to unlock the deadbolt. After the first $35 I was ok with that.   Went home and replaced everything(remarkebly all the screws were right where I left them.)  All went back together and voila, it works.  Guess I could add handyman to my resume, but I think I would be laughed out of the handyman club.  Did look at portable electric drills while at Home Depot but at about $69 and up I will use and old drill to activate my corner stabilizers.  Back home and I haven't broken anything or lost anything.  Therefore I consider it a job well done!!
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:49am
Would you happen to have the relevant Amazon.com order numbers available?
TIDALWAVE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>