R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mice
    Posted: 31 May 2012 at 12:08am
Showed our next door neighbor our Rpod and she was very impressed.  Then she mentioned I should be aware of mice.  I remember reading about using softener tissues from time to time.  Need some idea of when in the season to put them in the Rpod.  Should they only be dispersed during the winter, when the Rpod is not being used, or should they be dispersed inside all the time as a preventative measure.  Not sure I want to pop open a drawer and see a litter of critters.  All suggestions are welcome.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
PodSquad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 6:18am
Hi Camper Bob,
We have always used the dryer sheet method and have never had a problem.  We only use them in the winter for storage and live just near fields and woods here in CT.  Actually, we have a mouse in the main house now and then, but our cats seeem to take care of that!
The PodSquad - Drew, Deb and Marsh
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 6:44am
See my response in the other forum.  I just finished typing it.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 8:24am
Thanks both.  So, only in winter.  Where to put the sheets and how many?  Would be nice to plug all the holes but not sure I'm up for that. Safe Travels. 
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 8:36am
Mice can get in through very small gaps, however it is even easier to get through a unsealed opening.
Both my FR RV and R-Pod had uninsulated gaps around the waste pipe holes in the floor.  The RV hole took a whole can of aerosol foam to seal up. 
You may have to use a light and mirror to see where the waste pipe exits the floor.  My bathroom had a small passive vent louver beneath the door.  Removing the vent allowed me to inspect and then seal up the gap.
It appears that FR's final inspection does not extend to areas which are hidden from view.

Even in the summer, I leave a few dryer sheets in the pump area. I pull out drawers and lay a sheet beneath the lowest drawer.  I like the smell of the sheets and it freshens the Pod's interior when it sits unused.
TIDALWAVE
elko.mike View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 9:47am
Originally posted by TIDALWAVE

Mice can get in through very small gaps, however it is even easier to get through a unsealed opening.
Both my FR RV and R-Pod had uninsulated gaps around the waste pipe holes in the floor.  The RV hole took a whole can of aerosol foam to seal up. 
You may have to use a light and mirror to see where the waste pipe exits the floor.  My bathroom had a small passive vent louver beneath the door.  Removing the vent allowed me to inspect and then seal up the gap.
It appears that FR's final inspection does not extend to areas which are hidden from view.

Even in the summer, I leave a few dryer sheets in the pump area. I pull out drawers and lay a sheet beneath the lowest drawer.  I like the smell of the sheets and it freshens the Pod's interior when it sits unused.

i have no experience with this problem on the r-pod, but my house is a different matter altogether.  Our house is on the edge of federal lands in the desert.  Mice are everywhere, and for the first 3 years we always had mice in the house, lost of them.  We learned that small gaps OR doors left open longer than necessary let them in.  We used aerosol foam to plug these. 
But we also needed some steel wool here and there.  Mice, for example, would chew through the rubber sealer at the bottom of the garage door -- in the corners at either edge.  I replaced that strip a few times when someone told me to put some steel wool there.  I did.  That's stopped them. 
After a 5-year campaign of aerosol foam and steel wool we didn't have a single mouse in the house this year. 
Thanks for this tip and its now off to find and fix the mice gaps in the trailer.
Mike, Linda & Doxies
2013 Hood River Edition r-pod 171
Tow Vehicles: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 (Linda's) and a 2003 Dodge Dakota (Mike's fishing truck)
 Post Reply Post Reply