R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan I tow an R-POD 171 with a 2012 MKX?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
PDX97229 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I tow an R-POD 171 with a 2012 MKX?
    Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Seanl

I looked up the specs on your TV you have more HP than my Jeep Liberty, a longer wheelbase, and your overall weight is only 200 pounds more than mine so I don't think you will have any problems with towing. The only question I have is about the suspension on the Lincoln. with a 3500 pound towing limit I think the springs may be lighter than the Jeep but the Jeep rides like a tank. I would try towing without WDH to see what you think but I think you will want to get it eventually. 

...but, I am confused, as I thought that I could not get a WDH for a class II hitch. What am I missing?
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 11:37pm
I looked up the specs on your TV you have more HP than my Jeep Liberty, a longer wheelbase, and your overall weight is only 200 pounds more than mine so I don't think you will have any problems with towing. The only question I have is about the suspension on the Lincoln. with a 3500 pound towing limit I think the springs may be lighter than the Jeep but the Jeep rides like a tank. I would try towing without WDH to see what you think but I think you will want to get it eventually. 
PDX97229 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 10:55pm
dsmiths, our MKX is over 4400 lbs curb weight for our AWD.
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:58pm
Our TV is a 08 chevy trailblazer 4.2 I6, I use a friction bar type antisway, it goes between the hitch tongue and the right side of the tongue on the pod, there is a threaded lever to increase or decrease friction, it basically is like a disc brake it dampens sway between the t.v. and the pod. In southern Indiana we are very hilly, almost as bad as ashville N Carolina, I 64 semis , hills no problem, sometimes you can feel a little cross wind during stormy weather, but I have pulled with and without the antisway, I think the antisway helps some, I also think the longer wheel base of the trail blazer is helpful, and its weight 4200 lbs.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
PDX97229 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:27pm
Great, I will look into one if I finally decide that a 171 will work!. Is an MKX a small TV?
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 8:29pm
PDX, a WDH may not be needed, but you'll really feel more comfortable towing with one than without. Even with a larger tow rig a WDH helps you not feel like you're driving a Smart Car with a gorilla jumping on your rear bumper!
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 4:34pm
I think if you keep speeds in order (55-60) and are careful in the wind you will be OK.  Climbing the rockies may be slow, but you should be OK.  I would recommend weight distribution with a light TV. 
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
PDX97229 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Kickstart

Hey PDX,

Yup, I was one of the guys on the other board that warned you to be careful. My tow rig that was rated @ 4800 lbs didn't have near the hp or torque that you have, but the chassis was a little more heavy duty as it was a mid sized P/U. The front wheel drive and chassis must be the reason that a rig with as much power as yours is only rated @ 3500lbs.  As long as you set up your towing combo well, you may be satisfied with the job your Lincoln does. Semi suck and sway is not usually much of a problem for a properly set up towing combination. Again, good luck with a decision that works for you.

Yes, hello again. but you must have a different name here as I do.  :-)

Our MKX has AWD, not Front Wheel Drive. As I said on the other forum I had no idea this would be so hard to determine! Yet the R-POD dealer insists that this will be no trouble for me, as long as I do not travel with all 3 tanks full. Even though Lincoln states that a WDH is not needed, I assume that means I can use one if I wish.
PDX97229 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

I continue to be amazed at what people will attempt to tow.  That being said, if your vehicle didn't come with a 2" hitch mount stock, there was a reason.  I pull my lite-weight RP-151 with a truck that's rated for a 6500-lb towing capacity and I'm still a bit nervous going down the road with that, wanting something a bit more to pull with.

Our MKX DID come with a Class II 2" hitch mount. I only said that I did not purchase the Hitch/2" Ball yet.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Seanl

...I don't need weight distribution but I find it more comfortable with it.  
Basically its giving you another set of springs at the pivot point to absorb the up/down motion of the trailer tonge.  On my prior TV (Toyota minivan) once I added the WDH it ended up feeling like I was driving a big old Cadillac down the road.  Much smoother.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>