R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwax job

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: wax job
    Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 8:25pm
I knew when we bought our 2011 Rp-172 last fall I needed to get a good coat of wax on it. Before winter storage I got a good coat on the top. Spring time I was able to get the right (entry) side done, today I finaly got a coat on the left (hookup) side. I used Meguairs canubra paste wax. so far it seems to help bugs from sticking from the front and seems to help the streaking from dirt. Any one else have any tips as to the best wax ? I use meguairs wash so as not to remove the wax. Meguairs is a company that produces cleaners, wax etc for professional detail shops. What say you ?
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 10:03pm
I only use the Meguiars products when washing, waxing, and in between trip detailing the Pod!
FISHTAIL View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 4:06pm
I use NXT, it's a sealant, so it last's a little longer.  I wax mine twice a season.  I've thought about using some of the automotive detailing stuff I have (poorboys, XMT, etc) but decided it wasn't worth the effort.  I've been happy with the NXT though, and it gives me a good opportunity to inspect all of the seals on the camper while I'm at it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by kymooses

I only use the Meguiars products when washing, waxing, and in between trip detailing the Pod!

Me too.  I used to use their "Gold Class" but, this last time, I used their new stuff that is supposed to shed water uphill (I don't remember the name but, it is the most $$$).  I wax 2 times per year on 3 sides.  The front seems to wear off much qiucker so, as needed.

I tried Mother's once and it went on and off easier than Mequiar's but, didn't seem to last as long.  Don't even waste your time with Turtle Wax Ice.  It is little more than the spray detailers and comes off with the first rain or wash.
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 4:37pm
I use a marine (boat) wax for the front of my Pod.  It seems to repel dried on bug splatters better than simple automotive wax.  I use Mequiar's on the rest of the Pod.
TIDALWAVE
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by TIDALWAVE

I use a marine (boat) wax for the front of my Pod.  It seems to repel dried on bug splatters better than simple automotive wax.  I use Mequiar's on the rest of the Pod.
Would I be correct in assuming than one would need to purchase this a a boat dealer?  Brand?
PodPal View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 8:15am
PodPal View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 8:32am
I use three different products on my kayaks.  The boats are in salt, fresh and chlorinated water all the time.  Dragged up on shore, splattered with everything imaginable on the roof of the Jeep, and they clean right up afterwards.  I'm going to use them on the pod in the spring.

"GEL GLOSS" fiberglass marble and acrylic one step polish and rejuvenator.
I'll use this as I've just gotten the pod last fall.
"Collinite Fleetwax" heavy duty paste #885.
Use this as needed.  Once the initial waxing is done, followup applications are a breeze.
"303 AEROSPACE PROTECTANT"
Adds UV protection and keeps the boats glistening after being wet.  Expensive but well worth it.

Post Reply Post Reply