R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Home Stretch   ...Weigh Distribution/Sway Hitches
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHome Stretch ...Weigh Distribution/Sway Hitches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home Stretch ...Weigh Distribution/Sway Hitches
    Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 11:31am
For those of you have added a Weight Distribution/Sway Control Hitch to your system ...I have a question. I've boiled my choices down to the Equal-i-zer 600/6,000lb model and the Fastway E2 600/6,000lb. I can get the Equal-i-zer for $575 and the E2 for $400. Only difference I see in the printed specs is the 2 point versus the 4 point stabilization. Anybody out there know of any other differences? Right now, for the difference in price, I am leaning toward the Equal-i-zer.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback,

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 11:06pm

I had the same decision to make when I bought mine.  The reduced sway control is the only difference.  I read somewhere the E2 has something like 75% less friction.  There is still a lot of friction since the weight of the rig forces the spring bars to rub on the L brackets attached to the camper's tongue.  

Since I didn't have a problem with sway w/o one I decided to save a few bucks and get the E2.  Works great.  I also got the 600/6000 version - so if I move up to something larger in the future I won't have to change the WDH too.  The manufacturer confirmed its ok to use a heavier-duty model with a lighter camper.

Make sure you use the online tool available on the Equalizer site which tells you which shank you need, and which holes to use.  It will save you a lot of time in making adjustments.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 11:14pm
I agree with techyntrek I got the E2 because the sway I had without it was minimal and I was looking for something to level out the bounce.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 11:18pm
Well    ...time will tell. But the order is placed and I'll be installing (or having installed) the Equalizer. Not sure what the range of sway will be in the future    ...but if there's sway to be had, Wyoming is where to have it.

MJ
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 11:26pm
I don't think you can go wrong with either one and you are right. I think it gets windy in Wyoming so sway might be more of an issue there.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 12:43pm
Sounds good, even if more right now doesn't add anything, you may need it with a future camper. More is better!

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
bc matell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 5:38pm
Hi, I talked to the install tech at the RV dealer ship in B.C he said r-pods did not need a weight distribution and sway control hitch. What do you think? Over or under kill?
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 7:31pm
'bc matell': It all depends on the tow vehicle.  I have twin batteries and twin LP tanks on the Pod's tongue.  When I first towed with my Jeep Liberty...the Jeep sank about 3 inches in the rear.
I could tell immediately on the highway that towing would be close to white knuckle.  Putting on a WDH/sway combo hitch made a world of difference. The Pod was a pleasure to tow...good balance, no up-down porpoising, and when an 18-wheeler went by...very little sideways push.
I now tow with a 3/4 ton Chevy Silverado PU (for the extra pulling power).  The Pod's tongue barely changes the truck's pitch. However, I still use the WDH...it prevents the Pod from rocking up and down and spilling Wheaties out of the cupboard.  I also still use the sway control.  With both...the rig acts like one solid unit.
I guess you 'really' don't have to used a WDH...but for the minor cost...a safer tow.
TIDALWAVE
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by bc matell

Hi, I talked to the install tech at the RV dealer ship in B.C he said r-pods did not need a weight distribution and sway control hitch. What do you think? Over or under kill?

=================================

I would base your decision on personal experience    ...not necessarily on anything I or the others here have said. We've owned our 177 since last October and just added the Equalizer hitch a week ago. Our decision was based in large part, if not totally on some fishtailing episodes while towing our Pod, which were very unsettling.

Could we have gotten away without investing in the Equalizer ?      ...maybe, probably - - but we are darned glad we have it and if this week's experience is any indication of what the future holds we stand by our decision.

'Slogger
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Footslogger03

Originally posted by bc matell

=================================

I would base your decision on personal experience    ...not necessarily on anything I or the others here have said. We've owned our 177 since last October and just added the Equalizer hitch a week ago. Our decision was based in large part, if not totally on some fishtailing episodes while towing our Pod, which were very unsettling.

Could we have gotten away without investing in the Equalizer ?      ...maybe, probably - - but we are darned glad we have it and if this week's experience is any indication of what the future holds we stand by our decision.

'Slogger

I am with slogger. I have had my 173 for almost a year. The first time I took it out I knew that I wanted something. It was not bad but it swayed a little and when I hit a bump it bounced up and down. Not enough to make it a safety hazzard but enough to make it uncomfortable. So I  would take your 177 on a short trip ( My first trip was 3 hours) to see what you think. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>