R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA/c fan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: A/c fan
    Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 3:58pm
New to the site and we just purchased a 2013 RPOD 172 so still acclimatizing but so far love it. Question; when plugged into 110 power, should the a/c fan come on automatically when the furnace does? Ours does. Obviously the a/c fan does not come on when just using battery power.
Also, when stored for a week after a trip, battery went dead even though all lights etc. were turned off. No master power switch so should we just use the master breaker to shut off all power when storing? Just recharging it now before the weekend.
Great little outfit, just need to learn the little things I guess.
Calcan
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 7:34pm
Hi and welcome. I don't think that the a/c fan runs in mine when the furnace is running but I don't know for sure because we leave the AC fan running most times for white noise.
There are things in the rpod that run all the time off the battery like the Propane gas detector so if you are not going to leave the Pod plugged in between trips you should disconnect the battery or install a battery cut off switch. The master breaker only effects the Shore power not your 12 volt system. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 9:03pm
I have to set the fan control to AUTO, then it runs with the AC, not the furnace.

Lots of folks have put in a battery switch, and a search will find you instructions on how to do that.  I went the low tech (cheap) way and put wingnuts on the battery terminals.  When I park it i take off the lead on the negative side.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 10:09pm

Welcome.  I believe I've read that with some thermostats you have to reset the thermostat to stop that problem - they should not run together.  I have the mechanical type so I can't help there.

As others have said, you should disconnect the battery between trips.  During the warm months you should reconnect it and plug the pod into your house once a month overnight to recharge it.  Also do that before a trip, and then after a trip.  During cold winter months you can get away with 2-3 months between a charge if you leave it outside where it will get cold.  Everything you ever wanted to know about lead acid batteries:

www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Calcan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 10:27pm
Thanks all for the quick replys! Turns out there is a setting for automatic on the thermostat that I did not know about and should fix the problem. Will give it a try tomorrow. Guess I missed the instruction sheet. On my last truck camper, there was a master power switch that this one does not have. I see lots of posts on the battery switch but until then will either disconnect or just keep it charged as it is summer now and we use it quite a bit for quick escapes to the mountains. So far, other than these small items, it works great. We use for camping, mountain biking, fly fishing and eventually cross crountry skiing. So far, only mods are Outback bike rack, and various stick on hooks and things. I pull it with a Ford F-150 with the Ecoboost engine that gives me great gas mileage. Over kill for this trailer but great truck.
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 10:38pm
Ohh Calcan, flyfishing, I can relate to that, there is plenty of room in our 172 for a flyrod, good camping.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
DocTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 1:37pm
I have a F-150 with the ecoboost engine also. No problem even over 10k feet in the Rockies keeping up with the flow of traffic.  I have a bike rack that fits on the hitch bar between the truck and pod. Works well.   I know you will have fun with your R-pod!
Brush and Floss, It is the Secret of Life!
 Post Reply Post Reply